Using engine oil as chain oil

magwick

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I'm no tree surgeon. I'm a Farmer, but I always put husqvarna chain oil in my saw. It's just right, and the edge keeps better on the chain as a result.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

How do you figure?

It does but we know how much and it's effects because it Has been tested. Engine oil is tested for engines not saws. And judging by the insides of our saws the saws don't like it either.

What tests are carried out in the UK on bar oil ? in France I know of no such test + i"m led to understand that some brands of bar oil are produced from reclaimed oil + tacifier, after all its only a once around the block & goodbye, all mineral based oil products are carcinogenic to a degree, but around here there are quite a few old guys that have been loggers all their lives & are still around after 80 or so years I guess it more to do with the genes than the effects of bar oil inhalation, & the oil was a lot more crappy in years gone by.

What inside part of your saw doesn"t like the oil, what is happening The fact that engine oil is produced to be effective over several thousand miles at any thing from 1000 to up to 6000 or so RPM. 2 seconds or so to fling it around a saw bar means it should do the job equally as well if not better than bar oil only difference seems to be the bar oil contains tackifier

To the guy in post #43 how does a different brand of chain oil have an effect on the cutting edge of a chain? I would like to find the answer to this as I maintain saws for a Pro logging company & it would save me a lot of time if I could keep the edge on the chains longer. The company run 10 saws most of the day on a daily basis so it would help a lot? but up to now with many different brands of bar oil ( Bio for public land) I can"t say that I have noticed a difference. No matter what oil they all seem to go blunt over the same time period with same type trees/wood ( unless they get "crocked" through hitting some thing nasty)

As edge lasts much better than when we used to use engine oil.

Incorrect.

The bar and chain will both enjoy a prolonged life from using a decent chain lube.

The cutters however are not affected. Only thing that blunts chains is wood or for foreign objects in wood.

The oil doesn't even come into contact with the teeth.

Incorrect.

The bar and chain will both enjoy a prolonged life from using a decent chain lube.

The cutters however are not affected. Only thing that blunts chains is wood or for foreign objects in wood.

The oil doesn't even come into contact with the teeth.

That has always been my take on it if what he says is correct ( I have doubts) I will have to re think my views on chainsaw chains,looking forward to the results of the oil testing.