Anybody run a 3.5Tonne doublecab Canter??

arniecardigan

Sometime ago I bought a double cab tipper, caged, off another tree surgeon. I bought it at a good price knowing that 2nd gear was an issue. (grinding on engaging)..... Replaced the box with a recon at £1100 aprox.

Still a great truck, as stated a downrated truck, so brakes & exhaust brakes worked well, you could load it right up and it looked just fine.

Back axle started to whine, had it opened to see what was wrong.... oh dear just full of bits of unattached cogs and bits of. £4k job, no recon available,so sold to it to a Polish chap. He took transmission guys report, sorted it and sent it to Poland.

Nice truck, certain parts really expensive! Can't help you with fuel, never thought about it, at the time had a yard full of Volvo's & Scania's so it seemed really frugal!

Hmmm interesting, I had been wondering about parts etc, my friends Iveco needed a new rear axle last year and that was a good 3-3.5k gone!!

Can you remember what sort of mileage yours had done??

Hmmm interesting, I had been wondering about parts etc, my friends Iveco needed a new rear axle last year and that was a good 3-3.5k gone!!

Can you remember what sort of mileage yours had done??

Hi,

about 125k if memory serves. I did really try to resurrect the axle without a brand new purchase, not a chance.

Nice little truck, it had extra leafs on springs and stacks of power. Traction with firestone off road tyres was quite good (ie without diff locks). It would tip many tons without any problems.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got completely screwed by this one!! After asking all the right questions and viewing pictures of a nice looking one owner, low mileage mechanically sound Canter I agreed the price, then flew from Bristol to Glasgow then 20 mile car journey to collect. On arriving was shown a Canter that was not the one in the pictures I'd viewed and based my buying decision on! When asked where the one I'd seen the pictures of was I was told it was sold but this one had the same mileage and was the same year!! Unfortunately this one also had a completely rusted rear bed, seriously pitted tipper ram, plastic trim missing or held on with cable ties, no passenger seat and shagged interior! All the rear cross members and angles were totally rotten and it had numerous holes in the bed!! I pointed this out and was told they hadn't really looked at the rear end!!

After lossing my rag and effing and jeffing abit(ok alot) I went back to the airport, couldn't get a reasonably priced flight so had to hire a car to get home!!

Total cost.....£198 and a wasted day!!!

The truck has now been listed on Ebay so dont buy it unless youre prepared to put a complete new rear on it!!!

mitsubishi canter 7seat crewcab ideal recovery truck,banger racing,gardners | eBay