Husky battery power tools - too expensive now or cheaper in long run?

SteveA

What "next generation batteries" are you talking about?

Lithium Ion batteries have been on the consumer market for about 10 years now, and have not seen any substantial capacity/weight ratio improvements in that time. And to my knowledge, no other high power battery technology with improved capacity/weight ratio is anywhere near a marketable state. Capacity/cost ratios have improved somewhat with the increased use and production, but again not a lot.

A LOT of research has gone in to battery technologies in recent years, mainly for use in mobile computers, tablets, phones and electric cars, without any significant improvements being made. Smart phones and electric cars are still crippled by battery capacity and -cost.

BBC News - Engineers boost battery strength with small holes

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bear in mind

Yamaha are no longer doing petrol engine research

They must see the writing is on the wall.....

I would have thought back pachk carrying batteries and plug in tools might be a way forwards

As well as the three different-capacity batteries that go into the tools, Husky already do a couple of backpacks with longer-life. The bigger-capacity one of the two looks like an all-day-on-one-charge job.

As well as the three different-capacity batteries that go into the tools, Husky already do a couple of backpacks with longer-life. The bigger-capacity one of the two looks like an all-day-on-one-charge job.

Megabucks! :001_huh:

as you say Morten, there wont be any major changes in the near future!

it was mentioned on the news the other day and their best prediction was about 5-10 years for the next gen phone batteries. power tool batteries are likely to be well behind this date.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

I believe that anyone claiming to be able to predict specific technological advances 10 years from now are smoking dope.

Remember the 1970's predictions of fusion reactors and later cold fusion reactors that could be installed in cars that would run for decades on a glass of water?

To date, not a single joule of energy has been generated in excess of the energy has been put into the system, by any reactor, anywhere.

Basic research with no prediction of real, marketable products being on the horison. The story is based on a press release by the Northwestern University to try to get funding for the product. The minute a project like this has any promise, one of the top phone manufacturers (Apple or Samsung, most likely) will put their hands on the technology, and keep it to themselves to gain a competitive advantage, worth tens if not hundreds of billions of dollars.

(In my humble prediction – but only time will tell).

I'll make prediction

Cars will drive themselves within 4 years

Then

We'll stop buying cars and we'll lease them instead ( like private jets )

So growth business's will be car valeting, leasing

Shrinking business's will be car parking, car sales, car servicing and repairs, bodyshops,

Bet I'm right!

Megabucks! :001_huh:

Oh yes! But that's the norm with new technologies in the market - prices halve quickly, then halve again shortly after. Look at Dyson - 20odd years ago they cost over £1000 (so about £2000-£3000 in today's money).

The lesson is: if you don't have a very short-term payback on the investment, hold back and be a "fast follower" rather than "leading edge".

But at the same time I've no intention of buying any more petrol saws until I know which way this is going...