peeling poles.......

chris hennelly

yes what you are on about is a shave scratch couple of different designs on the back post one you put a spike in so the pole can hang out past it or a stump with a notch cut in and a block nailed up the back so you do half the pole and turn it over to do the other end find a fork for the strod with a nice wide fork else the wood can be a job to turn for real long poles you can use two strods like use to do hop poles but havent done any for ages but still get orders for the odd long poles

P1000864.jpg.70415244a3a2e8918683461fc3953ba0.jpg

P1010113.jpg.2710985b8bd8171bfb16fcf75294f43f.jpg

P1010128.jpg.8da51f8ca4582df3772a47a57cb92267.jpg

Hi!

I wish to peel some poles about 3 inch diameter and 6 feet long,too long to go on my shave horse........theres obviously something made to use in the woods to grip said poles,(two uprights and two crosspieces offset somehow,possibly called a "scratch").......any ideas?......Thanks!

I think this is what we know as a cleaving break, use a drawknife to do the peeling.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7zvzpJfl0k4/TrpKmorrGvI/AAAAAAAAA2Q/kSf9igmpQK8/s1600/liz_oakframe_03.jpg

IMG_5193

IMG_5186

if you have just a few to do yer could do them on a cleaving break but far quicker on a shave stand if any more to do another design would be how i drill out my hurdle heads rails are nailed on other way round to a cleaving break with angle bar fixed on front to make a pinch break

P1000855.jpg.dbf5d1100e1defe23364bcee758e0aff.jpg

P1000848.jpg.c84ca7867796c4a270d5344c08d84feb.jpg