560XP Hot start.

Alycidon

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was cutting through a Beech tree which was windblown and flat on the ground.

I had used my 560xp a couple of days earlier with no problems. However when cutting through the Beech tree it just seized up and no compression. Took it to dealer where I bought it and it was repaired under warranty.

It had been used for only one and a half hours!! No explanation given as to why this happened.

Spoke to the dealer this evening, they say they have been unable to get hold of anyone at Huskvarna who are also not returned their calls. He did then immediately manage to speak to Husky who want the saw back to inspect it. So thats over a week so far without a saw and no further forward.

Dealer says bore is very severely scored, saw has never been run without additive, dealer supplied the additive and bar oil. Can only think its the hot start issue.

Dealer has made no offer to replace saw, I have reminded them that as the retailer its their responsibility legally not Huskys.

A

Spoke to the dealer this evening, they say they have been unable to get hold of anyone at Huskvarna who are also not returned their calls. He did then immediately manage to speak to Husky who want the saw back to inspect it. So thats over a week so far without a saw and no further forward.

Dealer says bore is very severely scored, saw has never been run without additive, dealer supplied the additive and bar oil. Can only think its the hot start issue.

Dealer has made no offer to replace saw, I have reminded them that as the retailer its their responsibility legally not Huskys.

A

HI MATE hope get fixed up soon mate thanks jon :thumbup:

Rang dealer today, saw is now at Husky but there is a 10 day backlog for inspection under warranty. Suggests rather a lot of gear is going back to me.

Dealer quite a bit more friendly, he is now aware of the two major probs that cause engine seizure in these new self tuning models.

A

The Husqvarna 562xp's had issues with hot starts when they first hit the market. Husqvarna ended up sending repair kits to dealers that included I think...new tank breather and ignition module.

Most issues I have read of has been caused by operaters not reading the important parts of the manual - specially the parts about starting procedure (it is a bit different from most saws) and run-in of the AT system/carb.

Husky have now inspected and returned the saw.

Their report says:

" We have today inspected and repaired the above chainsaw that you recently sent into our workshop and our findings are as follows.

Upon initial inspection we removed the exhaust to find scoring on the exhaust face of the piston. The cylinder has suffered in the same manor, We removed the crank seals to check the saws main engine bearings and these were all OK. We removed the cylinder where the piston ring and circlips were all still in place, we also checked the saws fuel lines and carb and these were Ok also.

We drained the tank and noticed the oil in the fuel was not Huskvarna Oil. As we could find no mechanical fault with the saw we strongly suspect that poor quality oil has caused the saw to seize. Poor quality oils such as mineral oils do not meet the specification of these auto-tune machines which then leads to failure. We strongly recommend the use of Huskvarna XP which is a fully synthetic oil and is specially formulated for this range of saws.

On this occasion we have repaired the saw as a gesture of goodwill but we do stress the importance of using quality oils. As with other industries the technology and materials used in modern engines changes as does lubricant technology,which is why oils that may have been ok for older saws are not suitable for saws that are now running hotter and revving harder. "

So the blame is placed firmly on the 2 stroke mix used. This was Sthil HP which is a standard mineral oil and was sold to me by the same dealer for sue with the saw.

The 560Xp owners manual (P18) says:

For best results use Huskvarna two stotke engine oil, which is specially formulated for our air cooled 2 stroke engines.

Never use 2 stroke oil intended for use with water cooled engines.

Never use oil intended for 4 stroke engines.

A poor quality and/or a to high oil fuel ration may jeopardise function and decrease lifetime of catalitic converters.

Ratio, 1:50 with Huskvarna 2 stroke oil

1:33 with oils class JASO FB or ISO EGB formulated for air cooled 2 stroke petrol engines.

Checking the spec of the Sthill oil it is JASO FB. The mix in the tank at the time was around 1.33 maybe a tad higher as I had put a bit more in to see of that aided how in ran when hot. In fairness I had been running it at 1:50 other than that.

Nowhere in the Husky manual does it say that using oil to JASO FB will sieze the engine in 20 service hours as has happened.

The supplying dealer were also not aware of any requirement for the saw to only be run on fully synthetic 2 stoke mix.

So while the job has been sorted I do feel that there is a whitewash going on.

Any thoughts.

A