Just bought a 362c

Lumberwolf

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty happy with the 362c so far. Been thinning big pine and hornbeam lately and it's been fine. It has been cutting out while idling just after I've revved it. Sometimes it cuts out between putting the face cut in and the back cut. Maybe spud will know what's wrong

Sent from my HTC One using Arbtalk mobile app

Keep us updated on how it goes.

I think these new saws are a bit softer than the old ones, just not as robust.

The saws going back to the dealers. It cuts out about 15 times a day. Usually about 5-10 seconds after I put it down to stack the 3m or whatever. It seems to bog down Mich easier than it should too. I'm hoping they do something about it because apart from that it's a brilliant saw

Hello Lumberwolf.

I am semi new to the industry, working as a groundie / climber at the moment; but wanting to get into more forestry cutting in the new future. I currently have a Stihl 261 c, great saw but looking to buy another one with more power. What do most guys use / what would you recommend for a newish cutter?

Also any work going that you know of (sorry to be cheeky, don't ask don't get kinda thing)

Cheers

John

I was told (but I am not 100% if it is correct) that the dealers do a saw re-set by leaving the saw ticking over for 5 mins or so. This is the first corrective measure they take on the Stihl autotunes - if someone could confirm or deny this I would be interested to hear as we have a couple of 362c that have a habit of stalling.

I was told (but I am not 100% if it is correct) that the dealers do a saw re-set by leaving the saw ticking over for 5 mins or so. This is the first corrective measure they take on the Stihl autotunes - if someone could confirm or deny this I would be interested to hear as we have a couple of 362c that have a habit of stalling.

I'm quite friendly with one of the menders at the dealers and he said to start it from cold and leave it for 90 seconds without touching the throttle and then give it five cuts under load. I've tried that a few times and it hasn't made any difference. I reckon it could be a carb problem because when it is idling after I start it up it smokes a hell of a lot. It's bugging me big time just now.

Hello Lumberwolf.

I am semi new to the industry, working as a groundie / climber at the moment; but wanting to get into more forestry cutting in the new future. I currently have a Stihl 261 c, great saw but looking to buy another one with more power. What do most guys use / what would you recommend for a newish cutter?

Also any work going that you know of (sorry to be cheeky, don't ask don't get kinda thing)

Cheers

John

Hey, that's not cheeky at all lol. I'm sorry though, I don't know of any work. The guys I dub out to have been cutting in the woods for over 30 years. I've been doing it for 6 now. It's a split in our squad. Some guys have husky bit others have stihl. I've always went for stihl and if I were you I'd go for the 362 or 441. 441 is probably too big if you're not cutting bigger stuff all the time. I found that my 361 was good because it copes with the bigger stuff, and is a great weight and balance for smaller stuff. The boys that use husky all have 372s but I wouldn't go near them with a barge pole. Can't stand the way they feel when snedding. They are good for felling though. It's all up to you, find some guys that have both n see what you think.

I reckon it could be a carb problem because when it is idling after I start it up it smokes a hell of a lot. It's bugging me big time just now.

We have a MS362C-Q, the older model without any potentially troublesome carburator electronics. It' been a reliable starter, but it does smoke more than our Jonsereds during the first seconds after start. Thereafter it turns OK.

If your MS362C-M smokes extensive, it should cause a carbonized spark plug too.

However the root cause sounds to be the carburetor, so sending it back to repair sounds necessary.

I know more about motorbikes than chainsaws and on the modern injected stuff that is how you reset the system. Fire it up no throttle and leave it to idle till the fan (watercooled) comes on. Done.

Would think its likely to be similar.