New forwarding unit

Hi all,

I will be looking at picking up a new forwarding unit over the next couple of months but I would like a bit of info from the guys that are using them every day as to the best option. Currently I use a ari tractor and forwarding trailer that I hire in or the same tractor with a 6t winch. Typically I will be extracting 600T hardwood firewood, 50T hardwood sawlogs and a few hundred ton of softwood as well per year, would also like to use it for chipping and a bit of arb work where possible and im looking at spending around £15k.

So

Tractor and larger trailer similar to my current set up - cheapest and simplest option but I cant chip with it or use it in tight spaces as easily and there are less lifting options.

Tractor with a roof mount - more expensive but can be used for chipping, tidying up in the yard is easier, can winch and lift at the same time but can be unstable on slopes.

Finally - a purpose built forwarder and keep hiring the tractor for winching - better productivity but all the drawbacks of haulage cant be used for chipping or arb work and heavy on maintenence etc.

So what are peoples thoughts, what do you run from the above and has it been really good or seriously bad?

Any pros/Cons that I havnt thought of?

Hi Dave,

To get a purpose built for 15k will be abit of an old dog probably costing a few quid on repairs.

Would it be viable to hire a purpose built forwarding contractor to extract and pay on a tonnage rate to get ride side. Then you can still hire tractor for winching and won't have the costs of running big machinery.

Edited by Elmsdown Forestry

Cheers for the replies,

Im aware that the budget is fairly low however its a better option for me than keep hiring kit in.

I have used a roofmount before and it was a really good set up that seemed a good compromise for lots of tasks.

Cheers for the replies,

Im aware that the budget is fairly low however its a better option for me than keep hiring kit in.

I have used a roofmount before and it was a really good set up that seemed a good compromise for lots of tasks.

For 15k you may if you can find one get an old high hours Valmet but it will be a dog for that money. You may get an old county with roof mount for about 8 maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk