Help me please! Cable-bracing

apggs

We use both and I personally believe there are situations for both.

Was it necessary to instal in the first place, bifurcated union etc?

If so perhaps a little end weight reduction and re installation of cable.

We also have no idea of targets etc.

J:thumbup1:

Thanks guys for your feedback.

Attached is a zoomed in shot of one of the braces.

As for targets, the trees have high/very high targets in a high/very high risk area - children, families, mop (invited) and 'trespassers' too. Oh and a dogs :wink:

So, all the braces are the same as this one, all installed at the same time. Re-instate from the same anchors, or remove and replace higher as suggested?

Many thanks,

Adam

IMG_2595(2).jpg.1cd911b8f2e1bc6a52f17af8d78a047f.jpg

Impossible to say without seeing the constraint they are intended to mitigate.

They appear too close together to comply with US standard. But that's no cause for action.

What does your reading of BS3998 indicate?

If this is a uni assgt, should we be asked to do it for you? :sneaky2:

Not sure on British standard but I think I remember reading cables be 30cm apart in the ISA approved arborist book. They appear to close to each other and too thin. However this is an assumption on the photo you've provided.

J:thumbup1:

On a second look, cables may not be to small, hard to say without seeing what there supporting.

J

Edited by Jake Andrews
Second look

Hey guys, c'mon! I'm not asking you to do it for me! I was asking your advice, as working arborists, which I am not. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my post. Cables are not something covered by the course... which, I guess, is something that I can feed back...

Cheers guys,

Adam

Given high target value & trees that have previously required bracing, would strongly recommend phased removal and replacement, commencing with the most defective specimens.

Say you install new bracing, it then fails, kills a kid.

Judge asks 'were you were aware of previous bracing failures?'

You retained defective trees in a high target area with cabling systems prone to failure.

better get some soap on a rope...

Edited by TreeTiger

Adam, the very poor pic you posted is nowhere close to enough info to go on mate.

But the description of the situation you've given is enough for me to suggest you pass the cabling of your client's trees along to an experienced cabler in your area.

The job's too big for a beginner to tackle IMO.

I don't think removal is warranted by any means though. A professional cabler can handle it easily. Pass the job along to a pro and pay close attention to how he goes about it mate.

I learned how to cable back in the early 80's by assisting a pro cabler on the job myself.

Do what's best for your client and their trees like you know you should Adam.

Best regards mate.

Jomoco

Adam, your uni must have BS3998--have you read the bracing section? It's not that long...:001_rolleyes:

the suggestion to fell based on fear is without substance.

If you might pick one tree--the 'worst'?-- and put up some pics to show that one tree's issues, then you might get useful help.