Alaskan mill

Philmypower

Well I'm ready to buy my first alaskan mill. I'm ordering an 880 next week with a 48" bar so was thinking of getting a 48" mill. I will also get myself a 36" bar along with ripping chains. I would like to order from rob d off the forum but my question is what else would you advise. I'm going to order a few ripping chains, a precision grinder and the winch. I all ready have some wedges on the way.

Is the extra oiler advised?

Should prob add that I've never milled before but I'm sick of all the timber we log and have been inspired from threads I've seen on arb talk.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

I have access to 3 lovely pieces of oak, approx 7ft in length and 2ft in diameter the heart wood is great. If some one would like to volunteer to show me how it's done I will happily split the milled timber 50/50.

I'm in north wales.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To that I'd be adding a good ladder, half a dozen 4" index screws, an impact driver, a good stiff brush and a 13mm ratchet ring spanner.

Just loaded my milling gear up as milling tomorrow.

Enjoy it, its addictive!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

Thanks, I have a ladder & impact driver. The 13mm ratchet spanner sounds a great idea. Is the brush to help remove dirt before milling?

Brush is mainly to brush off the surface between cuts, gets the sawdust off.

Oh and you'll need a tarpaulin too.

Jealous of the 880 BTW!

The combined list suggested looks good.

If you are ordering several ripping chains, I suggest you get an Oregon and a Granberg for the 36" bar as a starter and compare them. You can then decide on what you like going forward.

The 47" bar that the saw comes with is hard nosed. This isn't ideal for milling, although it isn't impossible. They seem to work better with older, low revs/high torque saws. If you find you enjoy it you will probably do better to stick with the 36" bar for now and buy a long sprocket-nosed bar at some point.

I also suggest having an axe, a small chainsaw, a mallet and chisel and a claw hammer to hand - the first two are to address sticking out bits and areas which are just too wide to get the mill through, the rest is to deal with metalwork.

Alec

Brush is mainly to brush off the surface between cuts, gets the sawdust off.

Oh and you'll need a tarpaulin too.

I don't actually use either of these - the mill pushes the sawdust out of the way and I haven't yet milled where I have had to worry about sawdust clearup.

Alec

I haven't yet milled where I have had to worry about sawdust clearup.

Alec

Some get all the luck!😁

I milled some larch the other day and ended up with 8 bin bags of sawdust.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to the APF this year which will be a good place to get some bars. Will I get good results with the stihl 47" bar it comes with.

It's ok that bar but it's just the nose does get hot - one of the 46" sugihara bars would be better - if you have to get the bar and chain that comes with it you can try and ebay them - as the retail on that 47" solid nose bar is an eye watering £292-00+vat then the chain another £60-00+vat

The Sugihara bars are £185-00 +vat....

Worth a think about!

:001_smile: