Employed and wanting to claim back equipment vat

kiersindevon

As a slight aside, who in their right mind would work for someone who only provided the cheapest, nastiest PPE? Including climbing kit.

Within reason we sort the guys out with what they want. They all have personal climbing kits, PPE and waterproofs.

Why would you work somewhere that expected you to buy your own, regardless of the nuances of the rules? Astonishes me.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PPE must be provided by employers and also be CE marked and fit for purpose.

Employees must be fully trained in its use and fitting checked etc etc.

I fully agree that those employers who choose to do just enough and supply what is basically crap, deserve all they get, but by the same token those employees who see it as a never ending supply of free kit to abuse need to be removed as quickly as possible too.

Do employers have to provide ppe?

Eddie.

As a slight aside, who in their right mind would work for someone who only provided the cheapest, nastiest PPE? Including climbing kit.

Why would you work somewhere that expected you to buy your own, regardless of the nuances of the rules? Astonishes me.

Putting my example into context. It was a landscaping company not a tree surgery company so PPE was largely limited to steel toe cap boots and waterproofs, and it was quite a few years ago. They were upfront about it at the interview. Their attitude was that they weren't required to provide it because they employed under 50 people. I can't remember why they called consultants in but they were rapidly told that they were wrong and we all got a set of boots paid for.

At the end of the day when you're young and want a job, you take what you can get. Now I'm older and wiser I wouldn't be happy with it and if I were employed, I would feel that the company should provide climbing kit within reason, since it's the equipment required to do the job as well as it being PPE.

The benefit in kind calculation for a company car is based on the vehicle's carbon emissions and the manufacturers list price of the car when new. (Note, LIST PRICE WHEN NEW, not what the car actually cost).

When we moved from partnership to ltd this became an issue as we have an old landcuriser (expensive when new and high emissions). Vans are treated differently, so we pulled out the seats and seatbelts, blacked out the windows and reclassified it with the DVLA. Insurance was cheaper too!

The firm you work for,i believe is responsible for all your ppe,

That is concrete!

With respect to tool allowance,i'm looking into.

I get £200 a mth allowance for machinery,climbing gear etc.

This allowance is part of my my salary of which i'm taxed,

Am i able to claim the vat back on my spends?

I believe yes.

Any thoughts or experiences fellas?

Cheers kev

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Wow your a lucky guy!! It's like getting blood from a stone with my employer;) when they finally see your boots hanging off your feet they give you a shitty pair of big ass boots!! Kinda like the old diving boots lol. Hence why I buy my own gear.

Something not quite related but worth knowing is that if you have to clean your own PPE/Uniform you get tax relief. This can be back dated up to 4 years as well I believe. I used to 'save' £75 pa because I informed HMRC that I had to wash my own kit.

Sweet I'm gonna get a nice tax rebate this year then;)