Tool-less chain tensioner? Design fault!

dga3240

Had my first experience of these last week on a 450, flipped up the handle thingy and it popped off in my hand. Took it back to the owners shed and got my 254 out of the car. Job sorted 👍

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they are a good idea, but could be better. You never have to find a spanner , look for nuts, buy new nuts and spanner!

Thinking about it you're right, they are a good idea. There's really no need to undo nuts etc to tighten a chain as a system like this one should be able to work perfectly. However...

You still need to slacken the bar, but just not with a spanner.

No you don't, it's self slackening!

Sorry, couldn't resist!:001_rolleyes:

I have to take it in to the dealers who will "have a look at it". Not very confident about that as it will be like an intermittent electrical fault in a car and never perform at the dealers. They are also a 70 mile trip away…but at least I've found the receipt. The saw was purchased new in August last year and hasn't had a lot of work.

• 1 month later...
Hope you get sorted, I've had no issues with mine , so far.

Well, I got the saw back yesterday. The story is that they (MacGregors Industrial Supplies, Inverness) "have been waiting for parts from Husqvarna" but rather than keep me waiting any longer have taken a side plate off one of their new saws in stock. So I still have the toolless chain tensioner rather than the replacement spanner adjusted side plate I would prefer. Haven't tried it yet….

I suspect the saw has been sitting in their workshop for four weeks and nobody bothered to contact Husqvarna at all. I've very little wood to cut so by the time it starts playing up again it will be out of warranty.:001_rolleyes:

Stihl ones are crap too. The system is designed for 'homeowners' who are afraid of spanners (although strangely not afraid of chainsaws?) and is best avoided.

Yes, it is a silly design for "homeowner" saws - even though Stihl offer it on some pro models as well.

Something to avoid, like the QSS brake on Stihl saws, and the Triobrake on Husky saws - plain and simple!

Edited by SawTroll

• 4 years later...

Remember this thread?

I don't use my chain saw much and when I do, I don't usually use it for extended periods as I'm a farmer, not an arborialist. But the chain slackening problem started again when I started to cross cut a stack of larch logs for fire wood. It got so bad I was having to tighten the chain after cutting just a few rounds.

Carefully watching the chain tightening thumb screw, I could see it unwinding by itself! In seconds, the chain was so loose it came off by itself. I actually have this on video.

As I got no joy from MacGregor Industrial Supplies in Inverness last time, I decided to contact the Husqvarna factory in Sweden. I got a reply by return. If I could give them the date when purchased, etc. they'd send me a new side plate with the tightening mechanism. I haven't got that yet, but I have no doubt that it is on it's way, four years after I bought the saw. So, well done Husqvarna for recognising the fault and dealing with it promptly. Not so sure about McGregor  Industrial Supplies who (allegedly) just swopped the faulty side plate for another of similar design. Whatever happened to, "The customer is always right"?

I only have experience of the Stihl automatic chain slackener and would advise anyone to avoid them like the plague. Blame the chain if you like but we tried 3 different makes and they all did the same. It always felt as if you were tightening it to breaking point but still it loosened after 5 minutes of cutting.