Water use for tree defences??

stevelucocq

"an idea I'd heard at a David Lonsdale talk and to the best of my knowledge, it's expert speculation rather than accepted fact. "

Giles, well put imo.....It is not something I would get too hung up about essentially as the presence of water in the life sysytems comes second only to O 2 & the presence of water will displace oxygen as has been notes.....

It is interesting to postulate vis a vis the function of some fruit bods....I would have to summise that only some species do this to any noticeable extent.

Dr Lonsdale explained himself whilst painting an impression of self deprecation; as if to say this has been a theory passed around for sometime and owing its origins in "folklore" for want of a better expression. It has been widely disregarded as of late as poppycock to one degree or another I gather but that he was himself admitting that on reflection...why not?

People seem to be phased by the information in books either turning their backs on them in denial or embracing them and their content as gospel....

" I remember talking around this even back when I took the tech cert in '99....."

Good point david and I would take the view that the books and information in them is all good as long as you use your noodle and are selective and critical in your application of what you are learning from them, this is a good thing.

They are not the gospel and there are no black & white answers....Dont look for them!

cheers.

................admitting that on reflection...why not?

People seem to be phased by the information in books either turning their backs on them in denial or embracing them and their content as gospel....

They are not the gospel and there are no black & white answers....Dont look for them!

cheers.

Personally feel that you can not have enough reference material, but I do find that self observation has been, and continues to be, my best tutor.

Its like chinese whispers or something......

"I got the impression that the concept of brackets inreasing water loss - as a method of making a more favourable environment - was quite a recent idea, rather than an established 'fact'?....."

I heard it related as "removing" fruit bodies would cure the tree of the infection. This was supposedly a method of control which had earned its place thru' the tests of time. Laughable frankly and I understand this may be where the notion took root. It was rightly dismissed by the scientific community- Lonsdale was simply projecting ,if thats the right turn of phrase, that it may indeed have basis in science for the reasons we are discussing...which suggests that the way in which the premis for the enquiry was related to the arboriculturists perhaps lost something in translation...Sooo now, thats clear as mud I presume!!?

Thanks Monkeyd & Bundle 2.

In this context it's about passing an exam question and it won't hurt to make as many justifiable and relevant points as you can, even if they're not all proven, so long as they're not patently false, they might score an extra point or two.:001_smile:

• 1 month later...