Anchoring semi-mature trees after strong wind

tristan@arbcore.com

Tristan, I would be interested to know why the root plate was moving in the first place - girdling root system? - waterlogged ground? - surrounding - trees removed? - all mentioned could justify the guying, I wouldn't bother if its root decay

Reg Paul

There's no indication of root rot, and no trees have been removed. It's in a reasonably exposed location and we endured 100 mph winds during the 14 feb storms. The winds were realy ferocious, the same day we had our LUX traffic lights blow away (which signalled the right time to call it a day!) and the local university had over 200 trees down!

I think following this last winter, we are going to be getting more requests of this nature. I've used the Platipus system in large semi matures, and it's very good. Not one of the trees I planted in the last 5 or 6 years have moved in the storms, and some of these trees are pines and cedars, 20feet+ on loose sandy soil type. The system below ground allows the trunk to strengthen naturally, guy wires are fine temporarily as dalton trees says, but should be adjusted periodically as the new roots gain strength.

There's no indication of root rot, and no trees have been removed. It's in a reasonably exposed location and we endured 100 mph winds during the 14 feb storms. The winds were realy ferocious, the same day we had our LUX traffic lights blow away (which signalled the right time to call it a day!) and the local university had over 200 trees down!

100mph is enough to bring down healthy trees :thumbup1: