Cables and pipes

Fencing

Sorry to jump on someone's post but...

Does it matter wot u use for ducting? Does it have to be solid?

Was thinking of doing something similar but using perferated drainage pipe as nice and cheap. Would that affect anything?

Also i take it from a previous post water and electrics shold not share the same duct?

Cheers

i would just use land drain like you suggest, nice and cheap. the ducting is only there to hold the earth away, it dosent offer any protection at all. i personally wouldnt have a problem with laying a water duct in the same trench as mains or elv cables, as long as each service has there own duct.

as a spark, put at least 2 ducts, seperate extra low voltage to low voltage, eg you dont want telecom in the same duct as mains voltage cable. i would say 100mm duct for mains and 50mm for telecom. put at least 5 draw strings through each 1. If in the future you have a cable in the duct allready and you need to add another theres a good chance you'll damage the existing cable if you rod the cable through. make sure that each side of the draw stings are well tied onto a batten hammered in the ground either side so they cant be pulled out when the first cable is pulled in. As for the cat5e i would personally use armoured cat5e or amoured telecom cable underground, the water will quickly destroy any unarmored cable. Oh and a seperate duct for the water ofcourse!

+1 all you have said. only thing i would do is put in a inspection hatch so far along in case you need to get to it and can not pull a cable through. any inspection hatch and cover from a builders merchant will do. openreach did new cable save having to pull the whole lenght

Ah, ok it's more what the eye doesn't see...

Ducts still make sense for this though and if you lose the string a sandwich bag and a leafblower works for 100 metres.

Or a vacuum cleaner at the other end – works a charm!

And with regards to putting in draw cords... No reason to put in more than one. Just remember to pull another one in alongside any cable that is installed, so you will always have a draw cord in the duct.

Don't know the regs but know what may get used a bit up here ,90mm Dinn spec SDR 17 HDPE pipe ,use compressor to blow through the armoured cable & 25mm alkathane , cat5 or fibre optic can be installed later . Dinn should be about £2ish + veg& tatties a metre .Easy dig easy bury

Edited by Stu3k