Can I check if a tool is stolen?

bofh

Hi folks, I'm looking at a Stihl leaf blower for sale in Chatham Kent. I smell a rat and suspect both blowers are nicked. If I can get the serial numbers, is there anyone I can call to check them?

Police as mentioned, failing that maybe the Stihl dealers have database? I doubt it as it would be hassle for no real gain.

I have requested info about items via a PNC check in the past but they haven't seemed too interested in doing so.

My advice, take a pen and paper with you and write out a receipt with, Item, Address, Name, Date, Price AND the Serial number on it and make them sign it.

I recently bought a motocross bike and suspected something wasn't right, i did the above to be safe.... 2 months later a knock on the door from plod asking why i have registered a stolen motorcycle in my name with the DVLA???

Showed all paperwork and they were happy, turned out the victim ( guy whos bike had been stolen 5 years ago) didnt want the bike back so i got to keep it. Using the details from the receipt i kept i took the guy who sold it me to small claims and got all my money back... = free bike :)

But we are only taking about a blower here! Cover your arse and get some paperwork and you should be fine. :thumbup1:

I recently bought a motocross bike and suspected something wasn't right, i did the above to be safe.... 2 months later a knock on the door from plod asking why i have registered a stolen motorcycle in my name with the DVLA???

You need to be careful when dealing with the police in such circumstances.

It's very easy to talk yourself into a situation where you're arrested for handling stolen goods - section 22 Theft Act 1968.

The police can be very good at getting people to admit that they "suspected something wasn't right".

You need to be careful when dealing with the police in such circumstances.

It's very easy to talk yourself into a situation where you're arrested for handling stolen goods - section 22 Theft Act 1968.

The police can be very good at getting people to admit that they "suspected something wasn't right".

Fair point.

The suspicion was in the fact the seller said "my cousin had left the bike here a few years ago" and then emigrated.

What took me out of the firing line was the fact i re-registered the bike with the DVLA in my name, so it was clear i wasn't aware it had been previously stolen.