Starting out...

Dan Young

Hello everyone.

My name is Dan, I'm 22. Based in Margate and am a part-time Firefighter and a bar manager.

I am brand new to this and thinking about starting a career in this industry and am wondering what the best route to go about this is.

I was recommended to this forum by a member and he has been selling a good pitch to look into taking up, and I have to say I am becoming increasingly interested.

I have looked into Kingswood Training Services and they offer the CS30/31 and CS38/39 for £2112.

I was wondering if there are any companies that can help with the cost of the coursers. Or firms that look into apprenticeships with the result of full time employment?

I was also wondering if I would be able to pick up a few days work for someone as I think this would be a good opportunity to get to know the ropes and have an idea of how things work and to see if I enjoy it, which I have no doubt I will.

Preferably in the South East Kent area.

Thanks

Dan

Definitely get yourself to Kingswood, the best training provider and my chosen option.

After that try and get some weekend work with a company to gain experience and work up from there.

Anything else is a struggle without a lot of money in arb.

Unfortunately I dont have anything down that way planned at the moment, although my other half is from Sandwich so in your area every weekend :lol:

Welcome to the forum too!

Good luck.

Hi James.

Thanks for the welcome.

I think Kingswood will be where I'm heading from what I've heard about it so far, defiantly sounds good to me.

It's just trying to guarantee something for after given the price of the course, which I have no doubt is money well spent. But it's still quite a lot of money none the less.

If something comes up with you James I'd be more than happy to meet with you in Sandwich to discuss opportunities if you are.

And thanks Mark, I'm hoping so to! Let me know of anything mate, any news will be a help!

Hi dan, pm me your number and we can have a chat always looking for keen bods that want to do this job in a professional manner. Can't offer full time employment but certainly got some big jobs coming up where another pair of hands will be of use. Also part time firefighter just down the road. Speak soon.

Hi dan, pm me your number and we can have a chat always looking for keen bods that want to do this job in a professional manner. Can't offer full time employment but certainly got some big jobs coming up where another pair of hands will be of use. Also part time firefighter just down the road. Speak soon.

You've got PM mate :001_smile:

Hello guys,

I am also a part time firefighter (ramsgate) and I'm really interested in a career in arboriculture.

thought I'd ask...

@Dan Young: I am looking for a second income (evenings and weekends) and I happen to have bar experience. do you have anything available on the bar?? any wages earned will go towards CS qualies.

@TOMLEAF: not to tread on Dan's toes... but if you ever have room for two guys give me a shout. keen and willing with a bit of voluntary work under my belt but no CS qualies as of yet. I am currently with KFRS weekdays so if you ever have Saturday work, let me know. possible weekdays with advanced notice.

Nice one guys, I hope to hear from you soon. See you on the fireground sometime.

Chester Thompson.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dan,

You might want to consider going down the apprenticeship route - the Trees & Timber Work-Based Learning scheme lasts 18 months and means you'll get the training you'd need and get paid.

Although I can't offer any apprenticeship packages, with my background in training I might know a couple of people that could help you out - drop me a line if want to discuss options.

Cheers,

David.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David,

Sorry for the late reply.

Apprenticeship packages was actually what I was originally looking for, but I wasn't sure if they actually exist in this line of work.

However, I have actually picked up some work at the moment which is good! And I have started putting the majority of the money aside to get my tickets in the future, whilst gaining experience, so in that respect I suppose you could say I'm an apprentice.

I am always interested in any other potential work though, and if you have connections with some people, I'm all ears. Even if its just for a chat or to open up potential roads to go down in the future.

Thanks,

Dan.