Does anyone know the rules on slurry spreading and storage

Dean Lofthouse

Two months ago I lost one of my two working Springers, he went downhill rapidly. We had a blood test done and his liver levels were sky high.

Now, my other springer is showing the same signs and is struggling, I have him booked in Monday for ex rays and blood tests if he lasts till then.

I heard yesterday that a lot of dogs have died in my area and the common denominator is they walk there dogs on the fields near me.

I know the farmer and I know he is a what I would term a dirty farmer. He has a field near me where he has dumped around 60 ton of "manure" in a pile about 5 month ago which is now so wet it is a slurry pile about 2ft deep and 40ft round.

My dogs don't access that field but my dad has walked them on a field he has slurried and I have seen carcasses of chickens in the slurry.

I always thought it was illegal to put carcasses in slurry and store it on fields for any length of time, is this the case.

Two months ago I lost one of my two working Springers, he went downhill rapidly. We had a blood test done and his liver levels were sky high.

Now, my other springer is showing the same signs and is struggling, I have him booked in Monday for ex rays and blood tests if he lasts till then.

I heard yesterday that a lot of dogs have died in my area and the common denominator is they walk there dogs on the fields near me.

I know the farmer and I know he is a what I would term a dirty farmer. He has a field near me where he has dumped around 60 ton of "manure" in a pile about 5 month ago which is now so wet it is a slurry pile about 2ft deep and 40ft round.

My dogs don't access that field but my dad has walked them on a field he has slurried and I have seen carcasses of chickens in the slurry.

I always thought it was illegal to put carcasses in slurry and store it on fields for any length of time, is this the case.

Not burying carcases is illegal but storing fym is not.

Without knowing the facts it could be argued that you are responsible for your dog and unless the manure or slurry was spread on the surface of a footpath I wonder whether there would be a case?

we have had the same problem down in new forest. it may be the same thing 20 dogs so far died walking in the forest. beleive it is a form of e coli bug. try these people as have been looking after all those in the forest.

http://www.andersonmoores.com/

HI DEAN i hope your dog will be ok dean mate ive PM YOU MATE THANKS JON

Sorry can't be specific as to where you are but over here you would address such an issue via the environmental health department of your local council.

Sounds like he's well out of line and even speaking as a farmer I personally would have no issue about blowing the whistle.

Totally appalling practice on so many levels.

Should be no carcasases in muck hills anymore I dont think we certainly arnt allowed with sheep. As far as spreading slurry laws have changed dramaticly in recent years. Certainty as far as I know it shouldnt be spread in wet conditions in fear of run off into water courses. A slurry contractor near us got fined twenty grand for spreading in a nitrate vunerable zone at the incorrect time. I would take it up with enviroment agency bud. As for slurrying footpaths im shure there is a set distance to keep away from them with manure and slurry I may b wrong. Good look mate and I apologize on behalf of all farmers that do give a ****

Jim

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Arbtalk mobile app

Contact your local AHVLA centre if there is any dead stock in the waste. They are the organisation who police farmers and will prosecute. They work along side DEFRA and can penalise farmers single farm payments etc.

They made a farmer by us spread a certain amount of his manure a year as he had just been piling it up for years.