Installing a DRT line on an SRT line from the ground

DrewB

Oh, I see. But Even with the system set up at the tope of the srt line, I'm not sure that a rescuer should be ascending the same srt line? Maybe in an emergency it would be ok, as long as you get rescued then no worries but a system like this is for gear freaks so it shouldn't be unreasonable to have another line set in the tree for rescue purposes totally seperate form the two that the climber is using.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a very good point. not much to say to that other than if the drt line is set at the very top of the line then i dont think there would be quite the amount of redirection of the line.

the only way i could see to avoid the whole redirecting of line woul;d be to have a long prussic that when u pull the line up goes over the branch and tail hangs in the same place as the srt line coming down the tree (if you see what i mean) then u will have the srt line and the climbing line installed on one line but seperate from one another, i think thats right.

ill do a diagram and post it but i have to work out ms paint.

Oh, I see. But Even with the system set up at the tope of the srt line, I'm not sure that a rescuer should be ascending the same srt line? Maybe in an emergency it would be ok, as long as you get rescued then no worries but a system like this is for gear freaks so it shouldn't be unreasonable to have another line set in the tree for rescue purposes totally seperate form the two that the climber is using.

Surely the rescue situatio would be that it can all be lowered down from the ground? or am i missing something?

But i agree that ascending up the SRT line that is being worked from (ie not hanging straight from anchor) would be probably frowned upon.

the only thing im thinking drew is if u have gone out on a branch to work and are lanyarded in or through a fork. it could cause issues and i would prefer to be on a line where i could be rescued if i cannot be lowered. i fully understand ur point though.

totally see ya point mate, this style of rescue has been mentioned a few times and its always been my concern that it wouldnt work if your lanyarded in (which is probably the time youll cut ya self). I think this is probably a competition technique mainly, setting this up and installing an access line really probably isnt goin to happen at workl. But im sure ill use it at some point at work, just cus i can! say hi to rich next time ya see him for me mate.

How did you go Drew?

Did Cody use a revolver or the Crab/ pulley in the comp? Didn't you say something about a problem with the revolvers bend radius ?

Seriously thought I rarely SRT even thought i have a good kit and a neat little bag to stash it all in at the top. Last big tree I pruned (35m) iI pantined up, whats the rush as i get older ( now 50, don't laugh just keep breathing and you'll get there too!!) i see the sense in a gradual warm up access method.

Still i might give the DbRT of SRT a try.

Surely the rescue situatio would be that it can all be lowered down from the ground? or am i missing something?

But i agree that ascending up the SRT line that is being worked from (ie not hanging straight from anchor) would be probably frowned upon.

Yes the rescue where the whole lot is lowered from the ground is the ideal way but this would mostly only work durign the ascent, struck by or stung by etc! Once working out in the crown then a direct line to the ground is less likely to be possible and as stated use of lanyard would screw it all up.

Rescue is then required by climbign the tree and I don't like the idea os someone coming up the srt line while the drt is anchored at the top but if my life depended on it sure, go for it!

In a work situation I think srt, then set your drt seperate. For comps though this set up is ideal and you don't risk your ropeguide gettign stuck.

A seperate access line in a comp would be a nice touch.

How did you go Drew?

Did Cody use a revolver or the Crab/ pulley in the comp? Didn't you say something about a problem with the revolvers bend radius ?

Seriously thought I rarely SRT even thought i have a good kit and a neat little bag to stash it all in at the top. Last big tree I pruned (35m) iI pantined up, whats the rush as i get older ( now 50, don't laugh just keep breathing and you'll get there too!!) i see the sense in a gradual warm up access method.

Still i might give the DbRT of SRT a try.

Hey rob,

cody used a pulley as single revolvers werent allowed. i came 3rd in the prelims but then in the masters my access line tangled with throwlines and all got caught up in the tree, wouldnt go up or down. ended up monkey balling my rope and hittin the tree old school style!:001_smile: