Chipper protection

Rupe

This is additional to the chipper modifications thread, I started to think about ways to protect my new chipper from damage. When mine is put away, the trailer has to go next to it with the pick up hitches opposign each other. My old chipper got really bad scuffed where the pick up hitch on the trailer got pushed past the chipper every single day.

I started off with just some gaffer tape to cover the edges of the side panels, this is really helpful as it stops them rattling so they won't wear off the powder coat paintjob on the chassis.

004.jpg.0d3fa74b69895779f5694faba560a71a.jpg

003.jpg.bfbf25f8a52626a582a8d811cf1edf3a.jpg

These side panels are easily and often broken and not cheap to replace, so I thought about maikng a better protecter for them to prevent damge while reversing etc. This is what I came up with.

016.jpg.272d7197d31ee63a9ac1626679f34804.jpg

015.jpg.1bc33d7c4a5ae1a2091ad0f734f7b70a.jpg

014.jpg.a6662aa14f4e66ce6933b1237039aca3.jpg

013.jpg.50853aab07071535bef8e84e47e0c336.jpg

It bolts into place using the bolt that hold the fixing bracket on, and fits snugly around the front edge of the side panel. It could do with some paint or more gaffer tape but hopefully it means that the panels are all there and not scuffed up which should help to maintain its appearance and therefore value.

The next alternative would be to make new side panels that are flat and can be sign written and keep the originals in the loft to be put back on when it gets sold.

nice idea, do we all have to buy a new machine first?

How much do the weigh, I would think it puts the chipper overweight on a normally rated 7.5t?

Of course you don't need to buy a new chipper! If you have a chipper with the side panels intact then you could add these to make it stay that way.

I'll weight them and see, but they are not heavy.

Too late for this thread, my lady friend reversed my tipper to move it out of the way and jack knifed my chipper!!!!! crush crush crush. I wasnt there to cry at the time.

I am getting the front corners and top checker plated for protection within the next week or so. I will let you know about cost etc etc and how it looks.