Other ventures????????????

skyhuck

Sounds like a logistics nightmare!!!!:scared1:

We make good use of the kit, most days.

especially when you get to the job and some numpty has left a car in the driveway, or you get a breakdown and the 3 man team has already filled the garden with brash and you know you need to make 3 pounds fifty a minute to make a profit. i feel the heartburn coming on again:thumbdown:been there done that. one man band and groundie dave, get your wife to sell knickers on ebay, my mates wifes pal makes 20k a month doing that. buy a container full of knickers from thailand and turn the garage into a launjery distribution outlet:001_tt1:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if the workers are on peace work and the weather is always good and you get no daily snags and all jobs are right beside each other it could work and every one gets paid one week after the boss.

Shreks Wee Brother, it would be the boss`s job to make sure it works out like that. Freelancers should have their money in their account by the time they get home.

thats the only way i'd go if i was running a team

Steve, I once read, `Think about how you would set up your ideal business if you were starting again from scratch. Then just do that.`

Sounds like a logistics nightmare!!!!:scared1:

We make good use of the kit, most days.

Dave, I know you do. But is that rig of yours working to its absolute maximum potential. I can see how it wouldn`t appeal to some folk and for good reason, but I`m trying it out right now and it works.

Shreks Wee Brother, it would be the boss`s job to make sure it works out like that. Freelancers should have their money in their account by the time they get home.

we all should but it isnt an ideal world, all it takes is one cog in the big machine to break and it falls apart. you cant alawys get your clients to be in all at the same time for pricing, highly maintained machines still break down, people get sick, traffic jams, crazy nieghbours. its cash flow that kills small businesses. if the guys dont finish a job properly do they go back in their own time and fix it, no chance. all it takes is a customer to hold back one cheque, or a bank holiday weekend to stop your cheques clearing by another 2 days to cripple you. :sad:

I have been running my own tree firm for around 15 years now, a few years ago I grew my business and ran two gangs, not good, I think in this game the best lads tend to start there own firm, and who can blame them. So you can end up with the not so good :thumbdown: (this is only my experience and I in no way wish to offend any employees)

Any way I came to the conclusion that trying to get staff who would do the job the way I wanted and would not take the piss was near impossible.

So what I have been wondering about is setting up a separate less skilled business that would be easy to staff and would give a decent return.

My wife does not work and we have always lived on what I bring in, we have a good standard of life, but it would be nice to get something else going to bring in some more income.

I have wondered about grass cutting or fire wood.

I just wondered if any of you guys had done anything similar and how it had worked out??

Cheers Dave :001_smile:

HI Dave i do what your talking about

i have x4 nursing homes i look after under annual contract , well i dont look after them my guys do.

it works out good i get a good income from these 4 jobs but most importantly

it allows me to concentrate on the trees which is what i like best and if things do ever go quiet then i focus on these nursing homes.

we all should but it isnt an ideal world, all it takes is one cog in the big machine to break and it falls apart. you cant alawys get your clients to be in all at the same time for pricing, highly maintained machines still break down, people get sick, traffic jams, crazy nieghbours. its cash flow that kills small businesses. if the guys dont finish a job properly do they go back in their own time and fix it, no chance. all it takes is a customer to hold back one cheque, or a bank holiday weekend to stop your cheques clearing by another 2 days to cripple you. :sad:

Its my job to spot any cogs about to break. Having a team of four self-employed tree surgeons in one place means most things can be switched around and sorted effortlessly.

Pricing jobs is best kept well away from actual work.

`Guys not finishing off jobs properly` doesn`t enter into it. I`m always there.

Its my job to spot any cogs about to break. Having a team of four self-employed tree surgeons in one place means most things can be switched around and sorted effortlessly.

you obviously run a tight ship, hats off to you, i used to love working that way until i had a family, i like the option of staying in the house an extra half hour to get the kids up if my wife is tired, or if the wee one needs picked up early from nursery i can just go round and pick him up. each to their own, hope it all works out for you.:001_smile:

Nick, I am climber/cutter first and foremost, if I did as you suggested, I would have to become mainly a manager.

I love climbing/cutting :001_smile:

SWB, you are right. I`m not suggesting its the best way, just an option.

Dave, I take your point. That is the downside. It only works if you put yourself down as `third climber / groundie`s assistant`. The upside is no stress; loads of work getting done real quick; and all your `phone calls done before you get home.

SWB, you are right. I`m not suggesting its the best way, just an option.

Dave, I take your point. That is the downside. It only works if you put yourself down as `third climber / groundie`s assistant`. The upside is no stress; loads of work getting done real quick; and all your `phone calls done before you get home.

its all back to good staff, i would come back from emptying chip or making calls and nothing would be happening, it would drive me nuts, then they would go in little hufties, worse than kids. i just wish some of the guys on here lived a little closer. tell you what dave, if you get stuck i will help you and vice versa. the kids can work in the knicker sweat shop and the wifes can start a molly maid and nailer can run the whole show from his range rover, we can race the mogs all day( i will let you win sometimes):001_tongue:

its all back to good staff, i would come back from emptying chip or making calls and nothing would be happening, it would drive me nuts, then they would go in little hufties, worse than kids. i just wish some of the guys on here lived a little closer. tell you what dave, if you get stuck i will help you and vice versa. the kids can work in the knicker sweat shop and the wifes can start a molly maid and nailer can run the whole show from his range rover, we can race the mogs all day( i will let you win sometimes):001_tongue:

Spot on number 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:001_tt1: