Funny but serious by all accounts!!

Adam Bourne

I don't think you understood what he said.

What would the selection pressure on climbers to use SRTWP be?

I understood perfectly!!

There's no pressure it's not being force upon anybody, but other than the facts like I stated like the benefits of using your larger muscle groups rather than your arms which is a major advancement working 1:1 rather than 2:1 and the fact it's far more superior in the work position safety factor also.. To call SRTWP a counterculture and say we are outcasts is ridiculous!!!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did he say you were outcasts? I missed that bit.

Fair enough about muscle groups. A hard day's body thrusting knocks the heck out of me.

It's fairly simple for me. I use STR sometimes to get into a tree, quite often to get out of a tree and rarely within a tree. It's just part of a repertoire of tricks and techniques. I don't intend to get a bumper sticker and tee shirt to say which camp I'm in.

I kind of expected someone to suggest that if SRT is quicker a business will be more profitable or more competitive, meaning food on the SRTers table while the prussikers starve. Now that's a selection pressure!

What a load of crap mate, the evolution of arborists had been happening for decades!! For anyone such as yourself not to see this is unbelievable!!

What where climbers using 20/25 years ago?? What changes they made 10 years after was phenomenal!! And 10/15 years later here we are!! It really does not take a genius to work out how beneficial SRTWP is on the body let alone the safety standards of work position!!

This is crazy that people still refuse to agree that we as an industry have seen the light!! Probably the last industry who use ropes to work from SRT!! Tell me Tony, where do you see this industry in the next 10/15 years from a climbing point of view??

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that evolution doesn't go anywhere - it runs on the spot. So its a mistake to say that climbing systems are evolving if you want to say that they are getting better. SRTWP might well be the pinnacle of rope work in trees or it might not be - I'm not well placed to say. What I can say is that there isn't a substantial pressure on climbers to make that leap - an effect of the law of diminishing returns (they can climb pretty well on DdRT). So to use the evolution metaphor - unless there's a substantive pressure on climbers to use it, it will remain at a low frequency in the population (a bit like green eyes or the AB blood group).

Fifteen years from now? 2029 is the year of the hoverboot - mark my words :D

I understood perfectly!!

There's no pressure it's not being force upon anybody, but other than the facts like I stated like the benefits of using your larger muscle groups rather than your arms which is a major advancement working 1:1 rather than 2:1 and the fact it's far more superior in the work position safety factor also.. To call SRTWP a counterculture and say we are outcasts is ridiculous!!!

Again, that's not what I'm saying at all. Historically countercultures have been very effective at shaping the mainstream - it's not an insult just an observation.

I kind of expected someone to suggest that if SRT is quicker a business will be more profitable or more competitive, meaning food on the SRTers table while the prussikers starve. Now that's a selection pressure!

Kind of works like that but in reverse for me. I dont make anymore money or smash out much more work, but as a contractor I mostly climb and don't ground much. So at the end of the week I have less fatigue and no cramp in my arms anymore. Which means I can enjoy going rock climbing or doing something else fun.

Same amount of work less fatigue is just as good a selection pressure for me.

If I ran my own business perhaps I would thrash myself just as hard but get more work done SRT and make more money. But Im not going to get paid more if I finish the job early. Im just going to get expected to produce more work in a day and then be back to square one, being trashed at the end of the week

Just as an aside and without picking on Adam (I've seen it said before) - I've always thought DdRT was redirected 1:1 system. From what I vaguely recall 2:1 systems require a moving pulley component don't they?

I respectfully disagree. In order to ascend one metre, 2 metres of rope passes through the hitch when climbing DdRT. Hence 2:1.

Did he say you were outcasts? I missed that bit.

Please look up the word counterculture!! :)

An outcast of a group who's thoughts differ on a subject substantially from the rest!! :D

Tony, 2:1 is Ddrt you have 2 legs at the moving block! 1:1 is a straight pull bearing no moving blocks.. :)

Every time I see my dad who climbed well Into his 50's, and see how much pain he endures in his shoulders elbows wrists fingers, riddled with arthritis, now in his late 60's mind. But I can't help but think if SRTWP was about back then would that of help!! My most logical answer would be yes! Of cause, it really does make sense in my eyes when you see how much upper body deterioration is caused by Ddrt. Long term exposure in anything will lead somewhere painful eventually!!

Look how the chainsaw has evolved in the past 30/40 years!! Not only safety wise but ergonomically also!

It's only a matter of time with SRTWP, but I like your idea of hoverboots instead ;)

Please look up the word counterculture!! :)

An outcast of a group who's thoughts differ on a subject substantially from the rest!! :D

That's a little harsh. Tony's post contained a clickable link to Wikipedia's definition of countercoultire. Something like 'A counterculture (also written counter-culture) is a subculture whose values and norms of behavior differ substantially from those of mainstream society, often in opposition to mainstream cultural mores.'

It goes on to say 'A countercultural movement expresses the ethos and aspirations of a specific population during a well-defined era. When oppositional forces reach critical mass, countercultures can trigger dramatic cultural changes.'

Makes a SRT counterculture sound rather noble ands progressive. Now that's wortt a Teeshirt. Anyone got a suggestion of a suitable motto?

I don't know Tony but I know of him here on Arbtalk as someone whose choice of words is first class. Please don't let your passion for SRT prevent you seeing that his comments were pretty objective and apposite.