Amsterdam tree failure (close shave)

Paul Barton

Look how it failed just inside what looked like a new edge and surface. The new kerb near the camera hardly deflected at all, suggesting the roots were severed during installation of the surfacing.

Excellent case study video, in my view. Hope the cyclist was OK- it looked like he still took a bit hit to me.

Look how it failed just inside what looked like a new edge and surface. The new kerb near the camera hardly deflected at all, suggesting the roots were severed during installation of the surfacing.

Excellent case study video, in my view. Hope the cyclist was OK- it looked like he still took a bit hit to me.

My thoughts exactly. I wonder how many urban trees the UK would see come down in similar conditions? Considering the amount digging up of streets and pavements we see, you would expect that there are quite a number of mature trees perched on severed roots waiting for a big gust!

Brian Crane gave a presentation about the effects of cable installation near street trees in London at the last AA conference. He inspected numerous trenches and plotted trees with severed roots - from memory I think many of them are still standing 10-15 years on. I think he has plans to open up trenches again and re-inspect the roots some time....

I saw a few come down near the office recently in an area where a parking layout had been rearranged and we saw exactly the same thing- trees suffering plat failure along the loine of severnece where a new kernb had gone in or where there had been over-zealous grading off of the old surface.

Excellent case study of how stupid people can be when they venture out anywhere near trees in predicted weather like that storm.

Now that would be a debate.

Ha ha - I can see where you are coming from David given your responsibilities. However, if we are keen to see large canopied trees in the urban environment, (where there are always lots of stoopid people!) then we need to work hard on making our trees as storm resilient as possible - whilst still retaining their benefits.

For me, this 'case-study' highlights the disconnect between a) arborists and b) landscape architects and contractors. All arbs know that severing roots can make trees unstable - so why aren't arborists consulted (or listened to?) when it comes to construction/re-landscaping/utlilities installation near trees?!