Planning Portal

patrickosborne

Hi, can I just ask if any of you out there use google maps or Google earth to provide an overhead view for planning purposes. Its just that ive just been refused from applying for tpo work in this way anymore (welwyn) as they say i need an os license . Is this really a new feature that we all need to be aware of?

Interesting.....

You do not need an OS licence for Google maps. OS stands for Ordnance Survey and it is they that hold the licences for their maps.

Google is a seperate company and I think that if you go into the small print on Google, it allows you to use their maps as long as you reference Google (I may be mistaken on this last point, but am sure I checked this out some time ago).

Also with TPO work, you only need to identify tree locations on a plan to enable the tree officer to ascertain which tree you are talking about. There is no requirement for absolute accuracy.

Hi, can I just ask if any of you out there use google maps or Google earth to provide an overhead view for planning purposes. Its just that ive just been refused from applying for tpo work in this way anymore (welwyn) as they say i need an os license . Is this really a new feature that we all need to be aware of?

Interesting.....

Just had the same issue this week, yet not the week before using the same method.

Copying any part of google maps is against the terms of service, as far as I can tell: https://www.google.com/intl/en-US/help/terms_maps.html

Previously I bought Google Earth Pro (£250 a year) which I think allowed use of the maps for business activities. Things seem to have changed now though, and Pro is more about using maps for creating personalised maps and applications.