Windblow hung up trees

SamWhiting12

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been on windblown trees for an age it seems. Not one tree is the same to work on, not one hazard on the site is duplicated. The only danger I see from these videos posted on the Internet, is from those who do not know how to do the job, people grabbing a saw to clear a road, or get the tree off their property, so they google it on the net. There is no substitute for the correct training, but many have never had big windblowns to train on, til now. I would hope each and every member here Has more than a passing interest in the job, and would take some of the available videos on the net with a large pinch of salt, or at least apply common sense when dealing with such dangerous trees.

I've been on windblown trees for an age it seems. Not one tree is the same to work on, not one hazard on the site is duplicated. The only danger I see from these videos posted on the Internet, is from those who do not know how to do the job, people grabbing a saw to clear a road, or get the tree off their property, so they google it on the net. There is no substitute for the correct training, but many have never had big windblowns to train on, til now. I would hope each and every member here Has more than a passing interest in the job, and would take some of the available videos on the net with a large pinch of salt, or at least apply common sense when dealing with such dangerous trees.

Fair points Andy, there are risks in the game but they can be calculated.As a faller I obviously felled for timber and would not cut something of value as in the video out of choice in that manner , but in stands of large timber down the years you do come across windthrown rotten trees hung up in standing stems, I got paid for getting things down , not leaving them up as did the guys before me, so you find a way. In that particular video law of gravity says the butt end was always going to fall away from the cutter, cutting it lower in stages would not give it enough fall to clear the tree it was hung up in

:thumbup1: take note of the "BUT" in the comment above folks... big difference :thumbup:

I also note that a winch was used , as has been said those that do not feel they have the skill level don't attempt it, it is a perfectly safe technique used by the right person, as I said I have been a large tree faller for 35 years and feel confident doing that.

I also note that a winch was used , as has been said those that do not feel they have the skill level don't attempt it, it is a perfectly safe technique used by the right person, as I said I have been a large tree faller for 35 years and feel confident doing that.

He also said "much lower down" :thumbup:

Oh ok , that's fine, you obviously have a lot of experience of this.

No, I've not tried holding a chainsaw at head height and contacted the 'kickback zone' with the rear section of the tree as demonstrated at 4mins 59secs. And you sir, are you smitten with this technique? :lol: