Isa,rfs,aa?? Which course??

waz77

Ive been studying to do the ISA Certified Arb course but wanted your opinions,is the ISA the best one to go for out of the RFS Level2 and AA Cert Tech courses?? Are there any others worth considering? Is it worth doing more than one or are they pretty much the same? :confused1:

Ive been studying to do the ISA Certified Arb course but wanted your opinions,is the ISA the best one to go for out of the RFS Level2 and AA Cert Tech courses?? Are there any others worth considering? Is it worth doing more than one or are they pretty much the same? :confused1:

ISA Cert Arb.is a good qualification and I’d never knock it, in my opinion it’s a fairly quick and easy way to get a recognised certificate.

The RFS is a different little beastie in that its not multiple choice and you apply your mind a lot more in order to get the same level qualification as the ISA Cert Arb. A lot of people stop when they pass the theory exam and never go on to gain the practical units in order to make-up the full certificate, which is a shame because I think it’s a very good certificate to hold.

The AA Tech Cert is different again (you have to apply mind and effort even more than the RFS Cert Arb). If you have the time and commitment then go for this one.

As an employer I value the RFS Cert Arb (partly because I did it myself, together with the practical units; so I can appreciate the effort involved) It’s a good, well rounded qualification that deserves a higher status than a level 2. I then sat the ISA Cert Arb soon after and found it much, much easier.

I then went on to the AA Cert Arb, again a very good qualification but I’d use the other two as preparation first.

Good-luck fella! :001_smile:

Cheers John, do you have to do continued learning with the AA Cert as with the ISA?

That is a down-side with the ISA, and I must admit something its easy to let slip or forget. If you pass the Tech Cert, you have it for life - But don’t forget, this whole industry is a 'continued learning’ process which is constantly changing and evolving.

With the ISA Cert Arb you have to get 30 Continuing Education Units (CEU's) every 3 years to re-certifiy. These can be NPTC training coures, First Aid, ISA competitions and seminars and also quizzes in Arborist News and ISA publications.

I wouldn't really consider it a downside to be honest John, i think if you are enthusiastic and passionate about your profession as an Arborist then the CEU's kinda look after themselves. I passed the Certified Arborist almost 2 years ago, and within 2 months of passing i had 31.5 CEU's, just by attending a 2 day seminar, doing some climbing training and filling out the quizzes in "The art and science of practical rigging" book. I learned a lot from all of these!

Edited by Sciadopitys

I'm doing the ABC Arb L2 which I'm finding really interesting, i wouldn't say it was so much hard but a lot of stuff to cover in a year for 1 exam. Still not sat it yet. Hoping to do my RFS Cert in Arb need to do my AO1 tree planting. Asked them a caple at the weekend but they didn't seem to know much about it, Was told it would be £300 with test which I thought was a bit steep.

Im working full time amongst other commitments so the online or study at home options are the most appealing to me as i dont think there are any local colleges that run any Arb courses in evenings

I wouldn't really consider it a downside to be honest John, i think if you are enthusiastic and passionate about your profession as an Arborist then the CEU's kinda look after themselves. I passed the Certified Arborist almost 2 years ago, and within 2 months of passing i had 31.5 CEU's, just by attending a 2 day seminar, doing some climbing training and filling out the quizzes in "The art and science of practical rigging" book. I learned a lot from all of these!

Fair-play mate, I'm my own worst enemy - running around like a blue-arsed-fly all the time!

I dont think the continued learning is a bad thing,like you say there's always something new happening,i know lads who passed the RFS years ago then never took any further interest in advancing there knowledge and to be honet they're about as much use as tits on fish on the job...

With the ISA Cert Arb you have to get 30 Continuing Education Units (CEU's) every 3 years to re-certifiy. These can be NPTC training coures, First Aid, ISA competitions and seminars and also quizzes in Arborist News and ISA publications.

I think 1000 posts on Arbtalk should get you 30 CEU's.....