milling

Ian Leach

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I richen up my 084 to about 9500rpm when using it for milling, also clean the air filter after nearly every slab even when using the 372 as the dust generated is phenomonal. A two stroke saw is designed to be run flat out for maybe 30seconds at a time not up to 5mins a time, so the heat generated is far higher than standard use, this could explain why that 088 seized if they hadnt been down tuned for milling.

Charlie

A two stroke saw is designed to be run flat out for maybe 30seconds at a time not up to 5mins a time,

Charlie

I dont quite follow this, when felling big timber, a large saw is running hard for maybe more than 5mins. Maybe the workload of planking can be higher than crosscutting, but big saws are designed for big timber.

i know a big saw is capable of flat out for big timber felling, but its not very often that you would have it at wide open throtle for 5mins solidly. I suppose i should have said that its probably better to let it rest a bit mid cut, (i know i have to) as you may cut 1-1.5ft a minute, so a 10ft beam is going to take 8-10mins (if you dont have to refuel mid way) my 372 on 8ft beech boards 20" wide was using about 2/3s tank full of fuel each plank.

i suspect the 090 is a slower rpm engine and better suited to milling for prolonged periods as it wont be generating so much heat.

I though that it was generally accepted that milling put a lot of stress on the saw (a lot more than cross cutting) so the engine and other components get hotter for longer, as its air cooled its not very effiecent at dispersing this heat.

I know i try to leave the saw for about 10mins between cuts purely due to the temperature issue, sure would be good to compare the two mill set ups eg 088/084 vs 090 as i was warned off a 090 when i had the chance to buy one (by the guy selling it), but in hindsight i should have just got it anyway for the harder timber, as i suspect its the diffence in torque that will make it a winner.

Charlie

ps i would like to see some video of that beast in action!

Well Charlie, you've done a lot more of this than I have, you're experiences are valuable to me on this matter, I'll bear in mind what your saying about leaving her to cool between boards as well. I would have thought that the 372 would struggle in comparison to the bigger saws, what is your opinion?

As far as vid of the set-up, once I get the Alaskan, and new bar/chain, I'll be up & running.

The 372 is ok but i wouldnt want to go any wider than 20" at the most, 18" is ok.

the 084 is a bit faster but not by much on the narrower boards (and uses more fuel!) its also on a wider kerf chain and bar so takes more timber out.

are you going to get the aux oiler? as i guess topping up the 090 bar oil, mid cut could be interesting

To be honest I hadnt thought about that, so if you think it necessary, may add that to the list. Anything else you can think of?

its just that the oil tank on the 090 will be under the saw when milling, so if you need a refuel+oil you either need to back the saw all the way out the cut to top the oil up, or take the powerhead of the bar (which will be a right PITA) I just wondered if the aux oiler would deliver enough oil that if the saw reservior ran out you could continue....? i dont really know the answer to this one myself as i dont know how much oil the aux system will deliver (although it should be enought for a 36" bar)

anyhows hope you all have a good christmas, and santa brings you everything on your wish list!

Charlie