forestry planning permission

National Planning Policy Framework https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/making-the-planning-system-work-more-efficiently-and-effectively/supporting-pages/national-planning-policy-framework

:001_smile:

p.s... you aren't dumb, the whole planning system is CC (complex and confusing).

Thanks. Yes and each council seems to have a different interpretation of the rules. Some planning consultants are previous heads of planning so check in local area. Often not what one knows but who one knows.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also think part of the problem could also be you have put up the building first before approaching them. Reading the above article it would appear you may have got away with permitted development but you would have had to have put in notice before building.

Woodlands and planning legislation | Woodlands.co.uk

You may find this useful but I have noticed it does state for forestry - cutting and selling firewood would not be classed as forestry I think.

Says opposite. Logs are forestry.

'In 1986, a Judge found that converting trees to hewn poles or logs was “forestry”, but that planning, shaping or sawing logs into specified dimensions was “carpentry”.'

Dave

Problem you have got is the acreage is to small to make a living from selling logs without importing timber. What you need is a high value product and do your timber as a sideline.

Might I suggest

Introduction to Forest Mushroom Farming - GWM Cultivation Strategy

Which of course being food will need a clean preparation and packaging area such as the existing building. For the strategy to work you must do fully costed business plans for the next 3-5 years with the emphasis on food production and the sideline of logs which is a by product of cutting the mushroom logs to shape.

It does work we had the same response when we first started our horticultural business fortunately we where over the magic 5 hectares in total but the horticultural side has never been more than 1 acre in total.

Bit more info if you fancy a go

http://www.highlandbirchwoods.co.uk/UserFiles/File/publications/Information-Sheets/Info4.pdf

When it comes to marketing "farmers markets" are good and the planners have difficulty arguing against a business plan if you can show trade on several farmers markets especially if you get on the "foody markets" that the council promote themselves.

Bit more info if you fancy a go

http://www.highlandbirchwoods.co.uk/UserFiles/File/publications/Information-Sheets/Info4.pdf

When it comes to marketing "farmers markets" are good and the planners have difficulty arguing against a business plan if you can show trade on several farmers markets especially if you get on the "foody markets" that the council promote themselves.

Very interesting reading thanks for your time and advice. I am am thinking if i could find a large company in another part of the country that produces mass amount of cord wood from forestry is I could become an "agent" on a contact processing and selling there wood?

Obviously i would need to find a company that can supply lorry loads of cord and that can confirm a contract that they will supply me what i need for 5 years.