Moves on importing Ash as firewood...?

ben_inthewoods

Split, undebarked, oak firewood kiln-dried at 140, 180, and 220 °F was dried from

52 to 20 percent moisture content (dry basis) in 260, 90, and 30 hours. Pieces

stacked parallel to the direction of airflow dried as quickly as pieces piled

randomly

The drying times for the experimental conditions are shown in figure 2. The

average initial moisture content was 52 percent (dry basis). As expected, the

drying time decreases as temperature increases. The times required to reach 20

percent moisture content were as follows:

Loading method Drying temperature (hours)

140 °F 180 °F 220 °F

Parallel stacks 226 97 34

Random stacks 287 87 29

Average 257 92 32

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplrn/fplrn254.pdf

sample of forced air firewood kiln

kiln-direct.com

As I suspected the figures relate to a steam heated kiln

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I suspected the figures relate to a steam heated kiln

It is not possible for a water based kiln to reduce that much moisture in that time but they can reduce 20% in under 3.5 days (30% in circa 4.5 days). How this affects the treatment of disease I am not sure ?

It is not possible for a water based kiln to reduce that much moisture in that time but they can reduce 20% in under 3.5 days (30% in circa 4.5 days). How this affects the treatment of disease I am not sure ?

Not my problem as I am at the top end of temperature ranges doing torrefied wood using thermal oil. I know high temperature steam kiln drying works at killing pathogens but I would not trust relatively low temperature (less than 100C) to kill all pathogens especially when the health of our forests are at risk from diseased imported timber.

Not my problem as I am at the top end of temperature ranges doing torrefied wood using thermal oil. I know high temperature steam kiln drying works at killing pathogens but I would not trust relatively low temperature (less than 100C) to kill all pathogens especially when the health of our forests are at risk from diseased imported timber.

Did I say it was ? I thought you were using solar and selling waste wood for £100 a ton? The tests you quoted above were all using less than 100c !

imo local old fashioned businesses are at risk more than forests from imported kiln dried timber.

Did I say it was ? I thought you were using solar and selling waste wood for £100 a ton? The tests you quoted above were all using less than 100c !

Steam at less than 100C well I suppose they could have done the tests on top of Mount Everest. Dont confuse air temperature with water temperature. You cannot draw in air at 10C and with a water temperature of 60C in your heat exchanger expect the output air temperature to be 60C. Unfortunately thermodynamics does not work like that. I suggest you monitor the temperature of the water in your heat exchanger and compare it to the air temperature 1 mtr in front of the heat exchanger.

Thankfully I do more than just sell logs. Part of which is power generation using woodchip turned into torrefied wood.

I will be using solar PVT on a new agri building that I have planning permission for and will claim RHI but it will also increase the PV output by 15% so the Fits payments will be higher as well.

Your log kiln would not be an option as like many other people in the country we live in a smoke controlled zone and unfortunately the Glen Farrow boiler you have used is not authorised for use in a smoke controlled area.

imo local old fashioned businesses are at risk more than forests from imported kiln dried timber.

Not what DEFRA, FC and FERA folk thought at the Plant Health Summit in Westminster on Monday...I didn't see you there, shame you might of learnt about the Plant Health risk register.

The initiative of using RHI to improve domestic supply such as log pro was well received by a number of people that were concerned with EAB and ALHB. Have you completed your bio-security statement yet for your website or do you not give a stuff about UK trees and woodlands?

Steam at less than 100C well I suppose they could have done the tests on top of Mount Everest. Dont confuse air temperature with water temperature. You cannot draw in air at 10C and with a water temperature of 60C in your heat exchanger expect the output air temperature to be 60C. Unfortunately thermodynamics does not work like that. I suggest you monitor the temperature of the water in your heat exchanger and compare it to the air temperature 1 mtr in front of the heat exchanger.

Thankfully I do more than just sell logs. Part of which is power generation using woodchip turned into torrefied wood.

I will be using solar PVT on a new agri building that I have planning permission for and will claim RHI but it will also increase the PV output by 15% so the Fits payments will be higher as well.

Your log kiln would not be an option as like many other people in the country we live in a smoke controlled zone and unfortunately the Glen Farrow boiler you have used is not authorised for use in a smoke controlled area.

I was not promoting Logpro or saying that LogPro was suitable or unsuitable for the purpose. I simply stated that a water based heating system would not achieve those temperatures.