Pallet trucks

Ashes_Firewood

I'm thinking of getting a manual pallet/pump truck to help with moving bulk bags round, I could make better use of the space than I can with the tractor and pallet forks. i.e. get closer to the side of the building. Would it be reasonable to expect to be able to pull around 2 1m3 bulk bags of logs stacked one on top of the other with a pallet truck? I've never used a pallet truck before so don't know how easy it would be to pull and manoeuvre with that weight on.

And how smooth does the floor need to be? It's concrete but not a super smooth powerfloated finish like you would get in a warehouse.

I use one all the time - no funds yet for any powered equipment. It's fine with one bag - but if it's beech or oak it's just about on my limit to push, and I'm no small bloke.

The surface is important - mine is tarmac, and there are a few spots I have to avoid where the surface is breaking up.

My bet is you'll manage one bag, but 2 will be a problem. But they're inexpensive items, so it'll prove immensely useful whatever!

I did just happen to notice in the Log Pro video thread that there's a guy managing to move 2 IBC's around on a pallet truck by himself if that means anything.

I don't really have any other use for one so if I couldn't move 2 bulk bags/IBCs of logs in one go with it then it'd be a waste of money for me. Don't think I know anyone nearby that has one for me to borrow to try

I'm thinking of getting a manual pallet/pump truck to help with moving bulk bags round, I could make better use of the space than I can with the tractor and pallet forks. i.e. get closer to the side of the building. Would it be reasonable to expect to be able to pull around 2 1m3 bulk bags of logs stacked one on top of the other with a pallet truck? I've never used a pallet truck before so don't know how easy it would be to pull and manoeuvre with that weight on.

And how smooth does the floor need to be? It's concrete but not a super smooth powerfloated finish like you would get in a warehouse.

In a word no.

If perfectly flat with smooth concrete and no stones on it then moving one is ok but 2 will weigh around 900kg/1000kg, thats a but much for one man even a strong one. Having a bit of airspace between a wall and your log pile will help drying. Using a teleporter you should be able to get pretty close.

Stanley Handling do a nice range of pump trucks if you need one, had mine 5 years, use it every day, no probs at all.

A

I did just happen to notice in the Log Pro video thread that there's a guy managing to move 2 IBC's around on a pallet truck by himself if that means anything.

I don't really have any other use for one so if I couldn't move 2 bulk bags/IBCs of logs in one go with it then it'd be a waste of money for me. Don't think I know anyone nearby that has one for me to borrow to try

Yes you should be able to move them quite easily in the log pro because it is flat and a really smooth floor,I used one for loading 600kg big bags of fertilizer in a fridge trailer but you had to park on the flat.I doubt 2 big bags will weigh 900/1000 kgs unless it is green beech or oak.My 1 cubic metre load mixed dry hardwood about 350 kgs.

I reckon if you stack them 2 high it will be too unstable and want to topple over.

I move a stack of 4 IBCs on 'agricultural' concrete but the floor has to be clean. We stack them outside with the fork truck and then move them inside on a pallet truck and it is much easier with two people. A stack of five is the max we have moved like this and it is stability of the stack that becomes the bigger worry.

Second hand 2t pallet trucks fetch around £50-£60 so it isn't much to lay out to try and if you can't get on with it then it will still be worth £50 to someone else. Go for a standard truck as the euro pallet trucks are much much narrower and this makes side to side stability a problem when moving a stack (and they are generally easier to find and a bit cheaper).

I have a 2t(?) BRIT pallet truck that is slightly twisted. The handle and pump etc is fine it is just one fork is always slightly higher than the other so it so hardly ever gets used. Certainly better than nothing. £30? 20 mins from M6J27 PM if it is any good to you.