Mini digger

Fencing

Hi Tim, hope you are good.

Johns near Fernhurst, decent guy! Does all the fencing materials for Goodwood I think.

Havent seen John in a while, hope he's doing well

Hi Jim

All good cheers - you guys keeping busy?

Been a little slow this winter so the Alpine hasn't been out much! Roll on spring and another fencing job to get the post rammer going again....hopefully!!

Might need to pick your brains again soon, toying with getting a flail for the Alpine?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Jim

All good cheers - you guys keeping busy?

Been a little slow this winter so the Alpine hasn't been out much! Roll on spring and another fencing job to get the post rammer going again....hopefully!!

Might need to pick your brains again soon, toying with getting a flail for the Alpine?

what knocker have you got, is it on an alpine?

what knocker have you got, is it on an alpine?

Yeah, we've got a Protech P30 (inline) contractor on the back of the Alpine - makes getting strainers in the ground a tad quicker than digging - bloody solid too!!

We did some chestnut post and rail in Winchester recently too and managed to ram the post/rails at the same time. It was a very wet site so digging/back filling would have been painful!

You thinking of getting a rammer?

To be honest, I have been making do with a 110kg weight on my digger mounted post driver for the last 4 years, last summer I brought a Wrag knocker with big weight and rock spike and It was the best thing iv ever done. Whilst my digger is a brilliant tool for fencing in awkward spots it really does come stuck up against big strainers. Whereas before I would have to pre auger a hole then put the post rammer on to knock strainers in- my tractor one will knock an 8ft 8inch diameter post into hardish ground in a minute or three.

If I were you I'd try not to think of the hassle of having to have a bigger tractor and concentrate on getting whatever machine does the job the quickest!

99% of our work is domestic, we have quoted on one piece of decent sized stock in the last year so although id agree that if I got a bigger tractor and bigger knocker id be able to do it quicker, I haven't got the work to do it (bit pointless then)

We could certainly move into this area more, but id be inclined to go tracked knocker route.

I just got a quote for a tracked post knocker 26k +vat. I agree there is a lot going for them, but at 2.9ton they are getting a bit big for 4x4 towing.

For the amount of stock fencing you do an auger might be a good bet for pilot drilling holes for your p10 to knock strainers into. It gives you the chance to quote on bigger stock fencing jobs till you have enough to warrant your tracked machine.

What size weight are you using on your p10?

100kg, works fine for 5 or 6" strainers. I've a 4" auger flight if I wanted to put 6-7" in. Fine for us with what we do. May get a 2.5 mini digger and move up to a p18, and have the advantage of tracks and good reach.

There isn't much call for big stock fence jobs in surrey so I'm not worried about it.

100kg, works fine for 5 or 6" strainers. I've a 4" auger flight if I wanted to put 6-7" in. Fine for us with what we do. May get a 2.5 mini digger and move up to a p18, and have the advantage of tracks and good reach.

There isn't much call for big stock fence jobs in surrey so I'm not worried about it.

Probably a silly question being a p10!! I were thinking about getting one for my kubota U10. Ive got a borer for it but didnt know if it would struggle!!