Lets Talk $

David Irwin

Hi! Fellow Climbers,

I live in Perth in Australia, I would like to live and work in the UK for your spring - summer.

Around Here Blokes get around $1,000 AU for a 40 hour week thats wages and tax has to come out.

For working hourly contract (free lance) some get $100 per hour but that type of work is usually the ball busters that the main contractor hasnt got the ability or guts to do. To go free lance you have to have your own Insurances (accident and third party) and a Australian ABN number for tax, so you are not a employee.

I hope this post is helpfull.

If every one including grounds men, branch dragers will post there general location and money rates it will help all of us get a better idea of the kind of money we should be demanding.

I gess some bosses will not like this idea, Bosses are all ways complaning and comparing with each other about wages and it is a battle of wits as to who gets the better of who.

As every $ is hard earned it pays not to under sell your labour.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Steve says this is a difficult field to answer, as much is dependent on what the company is charging for the job. some charge a lot of money (relatively) so can pay subbies a better rate. When I sub out as a groundie it varies between £100-£120 per day. Currently I am running my own job and 2 other men, and therefore am earning considerably more than that. The other experienced man is getting £120 a day tho, and the junior lackey/gopher gets £60 p/day, this is for a day from 8am on site, til 4ish, depending on light.

Good luck if you do come over here, with next year being forecast economically as "rocky", tree work may be one of the first trades to suffer.

As Steve says this is a difficult field to answer, as much is dependent on what the company is charging for the job. some charge a lot of money (relatively) so can pay subbies a better rate. When I sub out as a groundie it varies between £100-£120 per day. Currently I am running my own job and 2 other men, and therefore am earning considerably more than that. The other experienced man is getting £120 a day tho, and the junior lackey/gopher gets £60 p/day, this is for a day from 8am on site, til 4ish, depending on light.

Good luck if you do come over here, with next year being forecast economically as "rocky", tree work may be one of the first trades to suffer.

your rate for groundwork is 100-120? that sounds high to me. round by me its £60 for groundworkers and 100-150 for climbers.

Many thanks for the information,

I gess making money is harder than spending it!

The job of the employee is to get as much money as possible for the lest amount of work.

The job of the employer is to get as much work as possible for the least amount of money.

Well this "Sub-prime" thingy is hitting the news and it looks ugly, some how I recon prices for labour will no be going up for a while

your rate for groundwork is 100-120? that sounds high to me. round by me its £60 for groundworkers and 100-150 for climbers.

Thats why I dont live round your way!! I must say tho, very few want to hire a groundie for that rate, but thats their choice. I havent spent a quarter of my life learning a trade, buying a vast array of kit, and maintaining it to go out for £60! I'd sooner go and get my own work, and let them get the cheap labour if thats what they want. I have climbers ringing me up complaining about the crap labour they are given, and how frustrating they find it.

If you've got alot of kit, insurance and all the rest, working for a measly £60.00 is tough. Ive paid blokes who only want £50/60 a day and usually after a few weeks/months they realise its time to renegotiate..which im more then happy to do as i'd never again work for that sum in this industry.

Fair enough if you an employee with 'everything' paid for...but being self employed and wanting less than say £100/day is too cheap.

I find those working for low rates, dont for long, and generally are young or inexperienced to pricing...

and those who remain cheap, struggle and work themselfs into the ground.

Hi! Fellow Climbers,

( I live in Perth in Australia, I would like to live and work in the UK for your spring - summer.

Around Here Blokes get around $1,000 AU for a 40 hour week thats wages and tax has to come out.

For working hourly contract (free lance) some get $100 per hour but that type of work is usually the ball busters that the main contractor hasnt got the ability or guts to do. )

geez i've been here for almost two years and i haven't heard anyone get paid $100 an hour, the max i've heard and this is champion material is between $70-$80. most contractors get $50 p/hr. i'm on $35 an hour, no insurance or saw just some climbing gear. and they do hire me everyday, and i'm not always climbing. hmm $100, is it worth me going home.

how much stuff do i need for 150 pound a day?