Removal of a Horse Chestnut

Scottie

Today I was part of a team taken down a mature Horse chestnut that is suffering from the dreaded pytophara (if is is the wrond spelling I am sorry, but you know what I mean). Well I noticed that it was secreting red goo from the bark but this was only on the "sunny side" of the tree. I didn't notice it in the morning but by 11am approx it was there.

Today was warm and I was just wondering if heat has an effect on the disease of the tree, the cambium is thinner so it can come out easier? Is it the tree defence working, trying to push it out? There was no red goo on the shaded part of the tree that I could see. This might seem strange to you but these were my thoughts as we were taking it down.

Any response would be good.

Thanks Scott

Im taking down a chestnut on saturday with pytophara. First time i have ever done one with this condition.

it could be possible that the heat of the sun on the tree makes the red slime less viscose so it flows out easier? or the heat of the sun raises the preasure under the bark and forces the stuff out.

I will have a look on saturday

Joe

My guess would be that direct sunlight increases transpirational pull, so the pressure in the transport vessels is greater.

Also, the tree hasn't had time to photosynthesise enough sugars, so large amounts of stored starch are being released now. Perfect phytopthora food.

Could the stored starch be what was spraying all over my leg after I had bored in and then hammered a wdege in? I looked at the bore hole today and there was a huge amount of red goo there. If someone could tell what the proper term for 'red goo' is, I would be grateful.

I wish I had my camera to take photos!

Are we talking bleeding canker? If so its worth noting that the current thinking is that the pathogen is Psuedomonas syringae pv. aesculi rather than Phytopthora...

Which doesn't help spelling much! Easier to remember that Psuedomonas is a bacterium and Phytopthora is a mold... (sort of)