hedgerow laws

woodmouse50

I am getting worried about laying any hedges lately , as when I first started Hedgelaying I was largely unaware of the the laws regarding hedges and thought that cos I was laying the hedge I thought that I was doing the best thing for the hedge

Could some one tell me what they take into consideration when looking at garden and farm hedges before taking one on

I find the regulations a bit confusing ,is there a list of simple rules to help.

I only have the hedges best interest at heart

Many thanks

Interesting link Sloth, would this mean if I replaced a fence on my forest boundary with a hedge (over several years) where there has never been a hedge before, that I'd be subject to the same restrictions if I later changed my mind, found I couldn't keep it alive etc etc?

Cannot imagine how a new hedge could become important in the future. The Regs are mostly used to protect hedges planted at the Enclosure of fields.These hedges are important in the countryside and define a landscape type.The Regs gave LAs the opportunity to halt the decline in hedgerow removal, many years too late in my opinion.

Amongst other things the hedges need fulfill the criteria re number of species. Not so many years down the line the well planted mixed conservation hedges being planted through farm stewardship schemes are going to confuse officers dealing with the subject.