What would you do with this tree???

If you're going to dismantle it why not chog down with step cuts rather than start using uncontrolled spear cuts? Just curious :)

I am exploring options as to whether i can drop the crown in one :). I would prefer to reduce the amount of force on the stem as i fear that it may cause the tree to fail, so a spear cut will suit. As for the stem it will be chogged down with step cuts :)

However, i think i will proceed with hand held step cuts to dismantle the crown and then on the stem.

I would prefer to avoid felling the tree in one just because of the risks.

I am inspecting it tomorrow to decide on what option to take but i thought i would post it on here to get other opinions :)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spear cut:001_huh: may as well fell it.

Tarzan swing ! You know a Tarzan swing at that steep an angle is not much better than falling. Although not wanting to put you off I may consider anchoring in other tree to give me confidence but it is not a safer option, once near the top your weight will pretty much be on the tree your felling anyway with the anchor tree bearing hardly any weight, and you may end up fighting your anchor point.

Like others have said fell in one would be my first approach, second would be to climb the tree dismantling in free fall sections. Lastly if I had little confidence either anchor in another tree or think outside the box, mewp/crane ***** pole Jedi powers.

Thanks for the help everyone, following my visit to the site yesterday I have decided to use a MEWP from the neighbours garden (the other side of the tree away from its lean). This option came up when I was telling the client about possible alternatives to climbing and they mentioned that the neighbours are happy for a MEWP to go in their garden :D

There will still be a video to watch :)

Worst case i would climb it with an anchor point in the other tree and dismantle the tree with hand held pieces. But would rather MEWP worst case fell it and smash the clients garden :/