New saw

Hotrod81

Replacement?!

Keep the 064. One of the best saws Stihl ever made. If it doesn't have the dual port muff - get it. It is a factory option that adds better power and response.

That's advice coming from someone whom loves the 365/372 chassis, too.

Edited to say: Let me know if ya want to unload that 064!

A good smaller saw would be a strong 50cc saw. You can go either 261CM or 550xp, really. I like how the 550 handles better than the 261, myself.

Whether would you get one of these dual port buffs and how big a difference do they make

Whether would you get one of these dual port buffs and how big a difference do they make

A contributor on AS has built a dyno. He is an engineer. He is also very familiar in the design and use of chainsaws. This is a quote from him on one of the first few runs he had. The actual HP #'s do not necessarily matter - it's more to compare saws to one another. But I thought this finding was interesting:

" At 9000 rpms the hp was 3.426. A dual port muffler and a retune gave this saw a .705 hp gain"

That is a nearly a 20% gain by simply adding a factory dual port to the 460 muffler and retuning the carburetor. The reason why they don't come standard now is it reduces the maximum sound levels, and the manufacturers use less aggressive port timing for 'cleaner' running. On an older model like an 064/046/044, a muffler mod makes a bit more of a difference due to more aggressive port timing. Well, it's not so much a muffler mod as those models were designed to run with the factory front port.

IMG_20130709_225729_691_zpsfac22a6e.jpg

Edited by wyk

A contributor on AS has built a dyno. He is an engineer. He is also very familiar in the design and use of chainsaws. This is a quote from him on one of the first few runs he had. The actual HP #'s do not necessarily matter - it's more to compare saws to one another. But I thought this finding was interesting:

" At 9000 rpms the hp was 3.426. A dual port muffler and a retune gave this saw a .705 hp gain"

That is a nearly a 20% gain by simply adding a factory dual port to the 460 muffler and retuning the carburetor. The reason why they don't come standard now is it reduces the maximum sound levels, and the manufacturers use less aggressive port timing for 'cleaner' running. On an older model like an 064/046/044, a muffler mod makes a bit more of a difference due to more aggressive port timing. Well, it's not so much a muffler mod as those models were designed to run with the factory front port.

IMG_20130709_225729_691_zpsfac22a6e.jpg

Where can I get one of these buffs and how much should I pay.

Where can I get one of these buffs and how much should I pay.

Dual port muffler front cover only Fits STIHL MS660 066 064 MS650 | eBay

Or go to the Stihl dealer and pay mebbe 60 bob. Advancing the timing 6* on a ported 460 with 210 psi compression was also good for another .47HP on that mans dyno. He noted the ported saw didn't have much more top end HP over the standard dual port 460, but that it had noticeably more torque throughout the rest of the RPM range.

As a caveat, I have heard of some of the older 064 models not quite having the same muffler base. The front cover fits, but the 660 or 066 muffler didn't fit. But that was a conversation in passing I had with a bud of mine that ran an o64 back in Oregon in 2010, so I wouldn't quote my memory. But something to consider. I nearly bought that saw from him. I should have.

Hello, Happy New Year

Firstly Im not a pro, I have a Stihl MS250 & a Husky 365 & love them both & an elderly 260 as well.

No way would I consider only one saw, you need a collection in case one goes wrong.

There is also a formulae to determine desired number of saws as follows:

correct number of chainsaws = (current number +1)

I would like to add a 460/461 &/or maybe a 660/661 with 25" bar to my collection but "Finance dept" would not approve!

Oh and dont ever part with a Stihl numbered 0 anything - I would buy it without a thought!

N

Edited by NFG