House-Saver

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It certainly can. By using a thermal store or accumulator tank you can link together many heating appliances. I install biomass, heat pumps, solar and gas heating systems. Am currently planning a biomass log boiler install at home and keeping my oil boiler as a back up.

It certainly can. By using a thermal store or accumulator tank you can link together many heating appliances. I install biomass, heat pumps, solar and gas heating systems. Am currently planning a biomass log boiler install at home and keeping my oil boiler as a back up.

bit of a hi-jack as I guide how much would it cost to supply and install a log burning biomass boiler in an average 4bed house? we have gas central heating at the moment

thanks Gary

Hi Gary.

Very dependant on which boiler you go for and which manufacturers advice you "beleive". Kit can range from £6k to £20k and some mf's will advise against fitting an accumulator tank. I fit HDG boilers from Euroheat. They are the best boilers on the market, their support and tech backup is excellent and they will last 20yrs plus. I can't comment on others but I always say do it once and do it right. You're looking at an install starting at around £10k plus vat for their base model log boiler. Like I said earlier there are many variables and every install is different. Plus the soon to be released RHI grants make the install cost easier with an annual payment of around £3k -£7k for 7 years depending on the boiler size.

Thanks

bit of a hi-jack as I guide how much would it cost to supply and install a log burning biomass boiler in an average 4bed house? we have gas central heating at the moment

thanks Gary

Hi Gary,

Bought our vigas 25 kw log boiler in 2004 fitted in 5 bed detached house no acumalator tank but loads of heat and hot water on only 1 fireing aday uptill now this winter.

Built like preverbial out house and has never let us down yet.Only thing needed in nearly 10 years use 1 fuse and a fire door rope seal.Simple and rugged and reliable what more can you ask for.They are still available and not too dear.

Hope this is of help,Big Chris.

Hi Gary.

Very dependant on which boiler you go for and which manufacturers advice you "beleive". Kit can range from £6k to £20k and some mf's will advise against fitting an accumulator tank. I fit HDG boilers from Euroheat. They are the best boilers on the market, their support and tech backup is excellent and they will last 20yrs plus. I can't comment on others but I always say do it once and do it right. You're looking at an install starting at around £10k plus vat for their base model log boiler. Like I said earlier there are many variables and every install is different. Plus the soon to be released RHI grants make the install cost easier with an annual payment of around £3k -£7k for 7 years depending on the boiler size.

Thanks

Can you explain to me (in lay mans terms) how the RHI works, we are going to be putting an extension on our bungalow next year and was wandering if it would be worth installing a biomass boiler.

RHI - You get paid a fee for every kilowatt hour of heat the boiler produces heating your home. The amount of heat produced will either be measured by heat meters fitted to the pipework or it will be calculated based on your house size, boiler size, heat loss etc. which will give an expected heat consumption. Currently biomass boilers are set to receive 12.2p pet kwh produced. As a guide, an average house will need about 25, 000 kwh annually for heating and hot water. This would give you just over £3k per year for 7 years.

Hi Gary.

Thanks

Hope you don't mind, and come back if you disagree, but I just wanted to amplify a couple of the points you've made (from personal experience.)

VAT (possibly including any additional building or installation costs depending upon how the project is delivered should be 5% rather than 20% as its associated with a so-called renewable technology - anyone considering an instal should make sure they check this properly for themselves so that the installer isn't creaming the difference)

Your phrase - "soon to be released RHI grants", the grants have been available for >2 yrs. Are you alluding to the (domestic) Renewable Heat Premium Payment (RHPP) which DECC have been prevaricating over for the past 3 years and is likely to be rolled out when monkeys fly out of my ass?

And when (if) they do roll it out, the RHPP is likely to be graded according to the energy efficiency of your house so cavity wall insulation, double glazing, loft insulation etc will all equate to qualification on a higher tier of payment. Conversely, the absence of any of these will drop you a level - similar to the current solar PV qualifying levels. Also, the original DECC commitment to 20 years of qualifying payments has been slashed too. Can't remember what the current (empty) promise is at the moment but the usual BS is available on DECC's website. It's a fairly bold claim to state 3-7k RHPP p/a either way!

You mention that "some manufacturers" recommend against an accumulator. That's a really strange comment which would warrant some clarification. Without an accumulator how are you storing heat for when the radiators draw down? Can't tell from your post if you are in favour of accumulator or not? From my experience, I wish I'd had a bigger thermal store and may well retro-fit more capacity when time permits.

RHI - You get paid a fee for every kilowatt hour of heat the boiler produces heating your home. The amount of heat produced will either be measured by heat meters fitted to the pipework or it will be calculated based on your house size, boiler size, heat loss etc. which will give an expected heat consumption. Currently biomass boilers are set to receive 12.2p pet kwh produced. As a guide, an average house will need about 25, 000 kwh annually for heating and hot water. This would give you just over £3k per year for 7 years.

Thank ya, I'll have to have a proper look into it.