Replacement Husky Barrel and piston

Brooklandsbob

I'd take Steve's advice first. Barring that, I have heard good things about the HyWays. I put one on my 2165 recently and ported it. We'll see how long it lasts

The one I've got is a hyway and the casting looks pretty good. I'll make sure everything is hunky dory before final assembly. What do you mean by a welded on popup on the piston?

You don't want to ask unless you want t become obsessive about your chainsaws performance - I'm in rehab.....sort of:blushing::001_rolleyes::lol:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take Steve's advice first. Barring that, I have heard good things about the HyWays. I put one on my 2165 recently and ported it. We'll see how long it lasts

The one I've got is a hyway and the casting looks pretty good. I'll make sure everything is hunky dory before final assembly. What do you mean by a welded on popup on the piston?

Means he's used a welder to build up the top of his piston to increase compression

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

No aftermarket top ends work really well without being ported, as the porting always is sub-standard compared to OEM.

That is just the top of the "ice-berg" - it often is much worse.....

When I received the HyWay kit, before even porting it, I had to clean up the intake quite a bit to make it more concentric. The transfers on one side were very poorly cast and took me about 20 minutes to clean up. The exhaust flange was not perfectly true. I had to take a file to it to flatten it up to seal correctly with the muffler and gaskets. So, inspect your aftermarket kits closely. Since I do port saws, I may be a bit more particular, and might notice some things your average user wouldn't. It would have probably ran OK for a while, but you really want it to run well for a long while.

You can open up the intake and exhaust a good bit. This BB kit wants a good muffler opening as well. So keep that in mind.

Here it is at 163 Exhaust, 158 Intake, 21-22* blowdown(transfers are staggered similarly to an ms361), ~200psi ish with popped piston(I'll put up the actual PSI when the top end settles in - it's only on it's 4th or 5th tank now). And 3 ports in the muffler. I was considering running the pop up at 220PSI and going mad, thus the exhaust #'s. But the bottom ends tend to come lose at those pressures. This set up seems to work well at 200 psi, tho. I would keep yours at 158-160.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MaDZHbsVkY]Ported Jonsered 2165 - YouTube[/ame]

Looks very zippy Wyk. I had to get the thing done today as I need to work it tomorrow. cleaned up the ports opened them on the outside a tad. Once I get five mins. I'll work out the port timing and rebuild it again. I don't think I'll pump up the compression ratio so less stress the bottom end .

Looks very zippy Wyk. I had to get the thing done today as I need to work it tomorrow. cleaned up the ports opened them on the outside a tad. Once I get five mins. I'll work out the port timing and rebuild it again. I don't think I'll pump up the compression ratio so less stress the bottom end .

If ya wanna check out the video again, I've added highlights to show where I have hit 2 nails while making those cuts. :(