Replacement Husky Barrel and piston

Brooklandsbob

Some use strong alkalie - Sodium Hydroxide etc, some use HCL (Muriatic) acid - brick cleaner does work well - if it fizzes, it is oxidising the aluminium.

Eventually with a bit of abrasive paper and re-applying acid, all the transfer will go and the oxide can be removed with some semi course grit paper and finished with a finer 400 grit.

I have done some with around 0.3mm of aluminium bonded to the cylinder - the newer the cylinder, the better it will probably work. The area above the ceiling of the exhaust port is the critical compression area - the cylinder should be left where you can't feel any damage with your fingertip.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a slightly different note Spud have you ever fitted one of the big bore kits to a Husky if so how does it effect the carburation?

The 'big bore' kits for the 357 do not work, they're just 359 cylinders, which are highly down tuned on the transfers, with the exception of the hyway cylinder only

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I fitted a 52mm hyway into my 2165. It took a lot of grinding to get the intake concentric and clean up the casting on the intake and exhaust. The transfers were uneven and had to be ground as well(the main intake tract on one side was very poorly moulded). The decomp was a VERY tight fit. So much so I was worried the threads would brake during installation. The exhaust flange wasn't prefectly flat. This, combined with a cheap exhaust gasket created a leak.

I acquired this 77.6cc top end from a friend from Australia for virtually nothing well over a year ago with the intent to port it, so it may be an older version. Though the exhaust was a bit of a pain, everything else was just a something of note whilst I ported away. The piston was not as tight a fit as I would have liked, as well. I have since replaced it with a different one from the same company with a much better fit. Go figger.

I'd take Steve's advice first. Barring that, I have heard good things about the HyWays. I put one on my 2165 recently and ported it. We'll see how long she lasts.

Here's the vid of the 76.6cc kit ported with a welded pop up on the piston:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M6uDs4jT0I]Life's a Beetch, and then you cut metal. - YouTube[/ame]

I'd take Steve's advice first. Barring that, I have heard good things about the HyWays. I put one on my 2165 recently and ported it. We'll see how long it lasts

The one I've got is a hyway and the casting looks pretty good. I'll make sure everything is hunky dory before final assembly. What do you mean by a welded on popup on the piston?

I've ordered a 52mm big bore kit for my 372 from tesgol on ebay and I'll update you all on how it goes.... so fingers crossed :-)

No aftermarket top ends work really well without being ported, as the porting always is sub-standard compared to OEM.

That is just the top of the "ice-berg" - it often is much worse.....