Aerial Rescue Law

Lancstree

The big problem with aerial rescue practice is - we don't get paid for it!.

Its well worth doing a few now and then, with the guys you work with and the kit you have available on your wagon. Then you know if the brown stuff hits the fan, your team can get you out of a tree.

I'm a freelancer and know that in reality, most firms just don't bother:thumbsdown:

I bet the majority of people on this forum haven't done an aerial rescue outside of their NPTC training or refresher training.:scared:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big problem with aerial rescue practice is - we don't get paid for it!.

Its well worth doing a few now and then, with the guys you work with and the kit you have available on your wagon. Then you know if the brown stuff hits the fan, your team can get you out of a tree.

I'm a freelancer and know that in reality, most firms just don't bother:thumbsdown:

I bet the majority of people on this forum haven't done an aerial rescue outside of their NPTC training or refresher training.:scared:

This is true but sad. Working for the local government we do get paid for it and there is always a rescue kit in the van so there is no excuse for us. The HSE should provide some sort of financial initiative for those who are self employed or work for companies that won't allow time for practice.

I might join the ISA for things like that.

Thats right Drew. Once a month is ideal and its good for team moral. But how do you convince someone who has this attitude... "well I'd just put the spikes on as thats the quickest way up the tree.." or in the case of only two people on site "we'd just do jobs where I can stand on the roof of the van to rescue.."?

Are these valid reasons for not practicing? I don't think so

Yeah there was a few people that had this outlook but this changed when we put a climber in the tree and then said "go on then youve got no more than 5-10mins to get him down safely".The people who knocked the pracice session soon found that this time vanished real quick and in reality with blood flowing, unconscous climber they probably would not of been able to do the rescue at all through panic. Before these rescue sessions the idea of installing and leaving access lines in was seen as OTT safety.The more that we practice rescues the more we see rescue line being installed and left in the tree. A good point on the team moral as well, it definetly helps.

Are you thinking of competing?

I have done on a few occasions. Once in chicago on work experience (just a friendly comp between folks from our depot), a couple of times at Myerscough, once in Leyland (for which I never got my 11th place prize!), and one in Leeds at roundhey park.

I've got no plans to do it again but I haven't ruled it out

Yeah it can be a bit of a pain but you just work around it.The more that you do it the less of a pain it became but there will be some situations that its too much hassle to do. I like the idea of the big shot but cant imagine being able to use it in a real life rescue-id be panicking way too much! I had to do a rescue a couple of years ago and fully believe that there is no way i would of been able to install a line at the time and this is why im quite keen on access lines.

I know what you mean. I'll try out the rescue line when I get back to work after christmas. Have you ever thought about leaving a throw line in so in case of emergency you can tie the rescue line onto it and install it in seconds? Its not as ideal as having the rescue line in, in terms of time wasted getting up the tree but it would however be better than no precaution. In addition, it would reduce the chance of damaging an expensive rope by getting it snagged or spiked.

On thick bark trees you could perhaps tuck the line in under the bark so it doesn't blow around in the wind but could be easily pulled out by the groundie.