Simple Beech Removal

scotspine1

Cheers everyone, there are plans for replanting with various new trees, always sad to see a big tree like that go, but there was no scope for a heavy reduction, not where the tree was situated.

MISSED the tyres :D lol Why cant every tree be like this on Tim?

ha ha, tyres were only there to stop it rolling onto the lawn, things aint always as they seem Benny boy :biggrin:

lucky to have those areas to drop the branches into though

No photo of the cross section at the end :sad:

there you David, hows this? some mycelial action there too :001_smile:

I'd figured it was gonna look like this at the base, had I suspected the decay was right through the tree, it'd have been a MEWP job.

Having said that, there was a method and reasoning behind the order in which the branches came down which would've also been applied if I'd used a MEWP.

5976673091087_GanodermaBeech4.jpg.594a2e3a7a109935608343e4a0d3b764.jpg

597667308f282_GanodermaBeech3.jpg.e99a74a01447c0e3427d4e6d3e5bafc7.jpg

597667308d4f8_GanodermaBeech2.jpg.271b23c2d8eaa15e7557c57b95447434.jpg

597667308b45e_GanodermaBeech1.jpg.775a4795b356b7382f4cd999711a694f.jpg

this one? yeah, saw that, at what point would you have made the decision to turned that tree into a mono/habitat stick had st jude not happened? would it all be based on Mattheck's t/R ratio? and VTA? or some good old fashioned learned instinct that you've picked up over the years looking at trees/failures like that?

59766730ac946_ganobeech.jpg.d0dff5fdb7a7490e3a40dd6662b56b78.jpg

All depends on whether it is a maiden uncut canopy or one that's already been reduced.

This one had had some canopy work, but if it had been in the vicinity of higher occupation then I'd imagine it would have been worked again down toward either a heavily topped habitat tree or a standing dead monolith.

It's at the end of a line of 6 or 7 planted beeches where only 3 are now standing with no serious vascular or decay issues........yet.

I enjoy looking at the science and tech, but with such a large population of trees I couldn't possibly base our work schedule on number crunching and t/r's

As you infer, it's more about a feel for these particular trees after nearly thirty years of working on and observing them.