Pruning apple trees

Pltreesurgery

As per RHS, but I prefer to do it once the leaves are off as I can see the structure more clearly.

I don't prune in heavy frost (or snow) and tend to do the trees which I want more vigorous structural growth from earlier, the ones where I want more even bud break (ie more aiming for fruiting) later.

Alec

Once the leave have dropped of the tree and I say mid feb is cut off time as the buds are getting ready to start to grow

Most important thing in fruit tree pruning is making shore u no what a fruiting bud looks like

Its a long winded job take ur time

It's not like a reduction on a tree

U have to reduce the tree to fruiting buds and growth points and try to thin all the leaders out

(A thinner fruit tree make less fruit but bigger fruit)

A fruit tree that's had a reduction to just growth points makes a thick tree and yes the fruiting crop may be really good but u don't get a good size fruit

Hope this make sence

Iv seen so many tree surgeons that are great at reduction but can't prune fruit trees right to save there life

Best of luck martin

Ps plums don't like being pruned

Edited by burrell_

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Cut off date for prunus species(plum family is to ideally have it pruned before frosts and the wound dry to prevent silver leaf fungus.

Apples can be pruned in summer. This is a major part of the lorette pruning techniques. It is based on regular management involving smaller material. It's aim is maximum fruiting.