Muntjac deer grazing habits

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try hanging up old CDs (or the freebie ones you get in the mail) in the tree to be protected.....the deer don't like the sun flashing on the CDs or the noise they make in the wind. A rural Surrey client of mine back in the day had some success with that.

This will only work for a very short time and only in bright sun as will barrier tape. I think there are a couple of electronic systems but I think they are more of a back garden job. One system emits ultrasonic waves and I think the other sprays pepper or a chemical?

If you have no other choice tree guards it is then! :sneaky2:

And it's not as if you can get hold of coyote/wolf/bobcat urine over there, eh? I've seen the sonic repellents over here for trying to keep white tail deer out of large gardens. Not 100% successful.......If deer are that hungry, the only thing that's gonna stop 'em is a rifle round (or a 12 guage slug).

Its a private field, criss-crossed by footpaths, so even if the clients wanted it shot, I doubt any responsible shooter would be permitted to shoot the deer with anything greater than a spud-gun. I'm no expert on firearms regs, but I do know the police would frown on firing a .243 across 3 footpaths!

high seats and if its realy public you could have people positioned on foot paths with radio contact as look outs (in a position of safety)

nothing is impossible!!! i have worked on very public sites doing control work using firearms and there is normally a way to do so safely, just depends on how much you need it done:001_cool: