The redirect thread.

Me too. Since Kevin Bingham pledged some words of wisdom I've been base anchoring more and more.

Sometimes it needs more thought and sometimes it's a no brainer. I like it all.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

Could you point me to where those words of wisdom are please?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid not cos I can't remember the thread or location but he was basically disagreeing with me.

He explained that by using multiple TIPs and a base anchor, the climbers weight is lightly distributed over all the TIPs instead of concentrated on one or two.

I tried it and he's right.

Ah I see, I think.....could you take a pic next time you use it please?

I'll try and remember but in the mean time, picture this.

Throw your rope right over the top of a tree then tie one end to the base of the trunk.

Pull down on the other side and observe the rope 'nestling' into branch forks across the top of the crown.

The combined surface area of all these forks is much greater than one large fork therefore easily capable of supporting your weight.

Of course, every tree is different and should be considered differently.

Furthermore, what I have just written is not an instruction on how to climb and I can't responsible for what other people choose to do.

:laugh1::thumbup1:

Loving the get out clauses!! You have to put a bit more thought into the angles and forces with those skinny redirect, based anchored climbs. Load them along their strong axis and its fine, bend them sideways and its not so good..

Watching kevins honey locust footage shows some lovely angles :) Im such a geek..

Cheers Al, I had it completely wrong in my mind. I thought you base tied and then had to pass it over loads of tips once up there.....that could have been a lot of mucking about ha!

Well you can do it that way too and I have done.

It depends on the tree and the situation.