550xp giving me grief

Joseph W

Evening all,

First I would like to warn that I know very little about saw mechanics..

My 550xp was the first saw I bought myself, about 6 months ago. Has been running like a beast once it's warmed up(bar one new chain brake needed...) since I bought it. However today suddenly it started losing power, and then wouldn't idle. Will still start on half choke, however won't reach as higher revs and then dies when I come off the throttle. Clean fuel filter, clean air filter, cookie brown to my spark plug. Only thing I have seen is that the air filter seems to let in a HUGE amount of fine dust which gather in the tube below the air filter and presumably goes further...air filter has always been fitted properly, cleaned when needed. Any suggestions or just hand over to a dealer? ps should I have filled in any paperwork to ensure I get my warranty?

Apologies about all of the questions and thanks in advance

Joseph

Which air filter is fitted, a black frame or yellow frame?

(Black is more open mesh than the yellow... 0.080mm / 0.044mm)

As for the idling problem, probably not related to muck in the induction tube...sounds like a fault pure a simple and a warranty job. The a/t should stabilise the idle. Check what the gap is between the flywheel magnets, between .2 and .3mm is correct depending on manufacture date of the saw. Check with your dealer for warranty!!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I would not worry about the dust Joseph they all do it ...husky or stihl, big or small I have never had any problems, just try and clean the filter daily .. Can't help you on the 550 running though but I seriously doubt they are in any way connected , sounds like the auto tune needs resetting possibly , my 560 has always behaved it self so can offer no advice on that front apart from I have read you can re set the auto tune by if its possible to burry the saw in a large bit of wood with a sharp chain cutting continuous flat out letting off the throttle for 3-4 mins