Boughton Winch

hiluxstihl

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a Boughton but it was in a similar state to that which the OP describes. Just looked at the pics.....and very similar! Around 10 ton pull.

They are good winches and you can repair them. From memory the brake is a band brake.

Mine was fitted to an International B 614 that had a manual hand operated clutch along with the ordinary foot clutch. This was import and for difficult pulls.

If you can find the serial number and get hold of Boughton they will give you its early history. They will tell you the machine that it was designed to fit and when. Mine was originally fitted on a Bristol crawler! They will also be able to supply you with certain other info that may be useful.

I had a Cookes single speed that I preferred so kept that and sold the bought to pay for the Cookes to have an overhaul.

Turning the winch to hydraulic from direct will reduce its rated power considerably. The plus is that you will have total control as I don't think the clutch on a little ford is independent from the foot pedal?

codlasher

Edited by codlasher
Addendum.

With a tiddly tractor the height that it it should be mounted is important. What you don't want is the winch too low so the overhang created by the winch itself bottoms out if you go over a mound.

You need it to sit so the rear forks dig in nicely to the stops with the rear wheels about 4'' off the ground. Hopefully the angle thus created will allow the tractor to roll forward after pulling so you have contact with the ground and drive again. This is the advantage a 4WD has over a 2WD tractor.

I can't remember if there is a mechanism to lift the forks after use. The Cookes had a separate little cable to do this. Occasionally it broke but if I threaded the main cable in place it did the job.

Check the stops too as one broke off on the Boughton as they are only lumps of metal welded on the side.

Don't get too much cable wound onto the drum either as a good pull over the top of too many winds causes jams. You will have better control over the winds if you lay them carefully in with a load, say using your foot to keep the tension, never a hand as those whiskers are sneeeeeky and get you when you aren't looking!

'Elf and safety will require a mesh screen mounted between you and the outside in case of breakages. You may have to create slots to access the levers. All my main controls were inside this screen so there wasn't a problem.

Consider fitting a front fairlead so you can extract yourself forwards too!

Have fun!

codlasher