Tree growth rates / class / yield tables?

RobArb

Ok so i came back a little early but i hold my hands up and admit i need help from the arbtalk collective...:blushing:

I'm after tree growth rates for Uk species and the more common non Uk species (horse chestnut, norway maple etc). I know same species trees can grow quicker or slower depending on the growth conditions of the location it's in, and other factors also play a part.

But, is there a generic or generalised tree growth rate anywhere in books, forestry reference notes or the like that i can get my hands on?

I'm after how much height a tree puts on in a year, for example is it a slow grower or a quick grower or an average grower?

I know most trees also have an S shaped growing curve in optimum conditions so trying to facter different stages of life in too like young growth rates, middle aged growth rates and mature growth rates.

Do yield tables show this sort of information? Where can i get these tables like this from, and do they exist?

Alright mate as you said tree growth rates vary depending on locations soil conditions and various other factors, but for general information you should find info you need in forest authority handbook 9 growing broadleaves for timber, forestry commission booklet no 16 forest management tables, and forestry commission booklet 39 forest mensuration handbook. I am not sure if all these books are still in print the ones I have are pretty old but you should be able to find them somewhere hope that is a help cheers

The closest I can think of would be to look at the General Yield Class Curve for the species you're interested in. That will give you an idea of the range of heights a tree "should" have achieved at any given age.

You used to be able to buy a set of these, but I think they were quite pricey, and I don't think they're available anymore. There's a copy of at least some of the curves in the back of the Thinning Control book, but again I think this is out of print.

You might be able to get a look at them by going into your local FC office.

Yes, something like that i could work out growth rates from.:thumbup:

How many other species are recorded in those yield tables and whats the exact name of the publication.

Nearest i can get get on google and FC site is what used to be booklet 39, now called Forest Mensuration, growth and yield.... i think

Most of the commercial conifers: Larches; Scots, Corsican & Lodge Pole Pines; Sitka & Norway Spruce; Douglas Fir; Grand and Noble Fir; Western Hemlock; Lawson Cypress; Western Red Cedar. Commercially important broadleaf's: Oak, Beech, Sycamore, Ash, Birch, Poplar, Southern Beech.

They're the ones in the Thinning Control Book, don't have a copy of the Yield Models to hand, can't remember if there are any more in there or not.