Husqvarna 236 Worn Plate

RussellS

Hi, I have a Husqvarna 236 which is only about 2 months old but today I have found some sear on the bar mounting plate and I don't know why.

Here is a picture showing what I mean,

IMG_0273.jpg

As you can see there are two places where it has worn, the bottom one looks as though the metal has been worn away completely and the upper one the metal has been deeply scored.

I really don't understand how this has hapenned. I continually check the chain tension and adjust as necessary and when the bar and chain are mounted and the bolts tightened the chain is a good distance away from the metal plate as shown in this photo:

IMG_0278.jpg

So I am struggling to understand how this has hapenned. I someone could shed any light on the subject I would be grateful.

Many thanks

Russell

It's chain damage, mine has it, in fact most of my saws have it!

When running at full tilt, a chain behaves very strange, and even the slightest amount of slack lets the chain leave the bar a good distance, these gouges are where the chain is a tiny bit slack, the clutch case is minorly over-tightened, and it has risen a few mm (1-2) and the chain can tilt slightly, so it catches the casing, but not enough to blunt the chain noticeably

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

It's chain damage, mine has it, in fact most of my saws have it!

When running at full tilt, a chain behaves very strange, and even the slightest amount of slack lets the chain leave the bar a good distance, these gouges are where the chain is a tiny bit slack, the clutch case is minorly over-tightened, and it has risen a few mm (1-2) and the chain can tilt slightly, so it catches the casing, but not enough to blunt the chain noticeably

So nothing I should be worried about then. Does this mean that I'm not keeping the chain tight enough. I do regularly check the chain and keep it at the tension that I thoughht was good but maybe I need to keep it just that little bit tighter.

What do you think.

So nothing I should be worried about then. Does this mean that I'm not keeping the chain tight enough. I do regularly check the chain and keep it at the tension that I thoughht was good but maybe I need to keep it just that little bit tighter.

What do you think.

I don't worry bout it, until I catch my hands on sharp edges... Then it's usually a lot of bad language and a flying saw, and it'll always happen

Don't over tighten the chain, it'll stretch, you'll wear the crank seals, and it'll eat chainbrakes

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

The chain should not hang off the bar(no drive links visible), you should be able to spin it by hand around the bar and it should carry on moving for a second or so after your hand has stopped pulling it round. when done at speed.

When tightening the chain, make sure you either chock under the bar to force it upwards as it will loosen if you don't do it - you can, alternatively, pull the chain of the top part of the bar on tightening that has the same effect.

I appologize if you already know this but it does ensure parts don't get worn and the saw is used safely.

Thats what the plate is for, They are pennies to buy and save the oil pump pipe from getting damaged by the chain.

Thanks for that, I've just ordered a replacement plate.

The chain should not hang off the bar(no drive links visible), you should be able to spin it by hand around the bar and it should carry on moving for a second or so after your hand has stopped pulling it round. when done at speed.

When tightening the chain, make sure you either chock under the bar to force it upwards as it will loosen if you don't do it - you can, alternatively, pull the chain of the top part of the bar on tightening that has the same effect.

I appologize if you already know this but it does ensure parts don't get worn and the saw is used safely.

Thanks Spudulike, as I said I do check the chain and adjust if necessary but maybe I'm not doing it often enough. I've ordered a replacement plate so from now on I shall check the chain more regularly and hopefully stop the new plate from getting so badly worn.

Thanks everyone for your advice.