Tulip tree issue

Swampster

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/54hioa1xds7im4d/yxbJ7L3_GP

Hi, if this above link works it shows the base of a tulip tree. Approximately 50% 0f the circumference is effected. There have been no fires or any other significant events near this tree which stands surrounded by lawn.

Any ideas on identification would be gratefully received.

Thanks

IMG_20131016_100820_595.jpg.9c9ea8015f10453d7de9c1e4819f5b72.jpg

IMG_20131016_100809_824.jpg.05b5df8fb6fbed18867f629ec40447b1.jpg

IMG_20131016_100802_214.jpg.96a4ab2c9a8f04ba282d24735bd97241.jpg

IMG_20131016_100628_156.jpg.033b0c0e83c1ca442d1b7c5708ec3f96.jpg

597666a11d528_IMG_20131016_100853_964(1).jpg.f735d74dc9900736438265c5091e99bd.jpg

Have a look under the affected bark for fans of white mycelium or bootlaces (also in the soil at the base) of honey fungus. Could have got in through strimmer or other damage. That would eliminate or confirm my first suspicions. How is the crown of the tree?

Hi Swampster, the property behind looks pretty new and that retaining wall is close to the Tulip suggesting a significant change in the soil level. Looking at the picture the first thing that strikes me is no evidence of root flair. If you get a chance dig down and see if you can expose the flair, although to be honest it looks like the damage is already done.The lower trunk decay is likely to be as a result of this incorrect soil level and possibly exacerbated by strimmer/mower damage from grass growing right up to the tree.

Any occasion a tree appears to be sticking out of the ground like a lamp post alarm bells should start ringing. If the soil level changes by even a couple of inches it can be hugely detrimental, although in this case the tree is likely to have suffered significant root loss too.

Good spot Razzle.

And/or being smacked by diggers and/or other plant machinery during the construction of the new build, and retaining walls etc.

Like has been said, the damage is already done. Either fell or monitor the situation for a couple of years, and then fell when its as plain as the nose on your face that the tree is not going to recover!

Thanks all, already condemned on the grounds of physical damage, soil level change and no real prospects of a long life....

I didn't know if there was more to it that I'd be able to feed back to the client (who I don't think has told the full story). I was considering the black stuff oozing out as something possibly significant(?), I looked for but could find no 'bootlaces' but I did not do any digging.

Although I didn't take any pictures of the crown, it is still in good condition at this time.

The black oozing resembles Phtophthora, borne by wet soil on trunk tissue. Razzle put it well:

" Looking at the picture the first thing that strikes me is no evidence of root flair. If you get a chance dig down and see if you can expose the flair, although to be honest it looks like the damage is already done.The lower trunk decay is likely to be as a result of this incorrect soil level and possibly exacerbated by strimmer/mower damage from grass growing right up to the tree.

Any occasion a tree appears to be sticking out of the ground like a lamp post alarm bells should start ringing."