Bs5837 2012

sean

Arborist your box is full too!

Regarding multi stem calcs:

I have software now that does the hard work for me, but I'll try. Probably do me good to think it through again!

Firstly get to know the 'square root' button on your calculator.

2-5 stems is easy:

Take diameter of stem 1 then square it (eg 100mm X 100mm = 10,000) and jot it down. Then diameter of stem 2, same again, stem 3 etc.

You should then have 2-5 large numbers, add them together and ask your calculator nicely to work out the square root of their total. This is your new dbh measurement, simples.

More than 5 stems is an odd one:

I'll double check it and get back to you.

In any case be careful not to waste time on it if it's worth minimum marks on the day. My biggest piece of advice is spend your first five minutes reading the questions and working out where the marks are to be had. Split your time accordingly, like 1/2 your time on a big question with 1/2 the total marks, and 1/4 the last two questions. Also remember you don't have to do the questions in order. When I did it the last question was something like list all arb operations that might be in a 5837 method statement, and construction activities which might affect a meth statement. It was worth big marks so I rattld out a list first, then did the survey, and went back to it at the end when the survey had jogged my memory.

If it's quicker just note down the equations from the standard to show you know it and move on to a question with more/easier marks.

Passing the management day is as much about exam technique as knowing your onions.

Thanks sloth its kind of making sense now.

I've done so much revision now im starting to confuse my self!!

When you say arb operations in the method statement you mean,

Tree removal - Fell / dismantle to ground level.

Stump - Grind / leave in situe / poison.

Lift - to how high / what aspect of the stem and to bs3998 2010.

Cut back - what aspect how high / what branches and by how many meters.

Access facilitation pruning. what tree / what type of work and by how much.

construction activities,

Service installation. ngug.

Temporary surface - APN12 no dig construction.

Pilling within the RPA.

scaffolding within the RPA / Protective barrier set back with ground protection.

Is that sounding about right??

Thanks for your help Guys, A very stressed

Paul.

Ps. sean send me over your email, I have lost it from before and ill sort you out.

It's no problem, and yes that is sounding right :thumbup:

Now for more than 5 stems, technically you should add the diameter of all stems and then divide by the number of stems, this gives the MEAN diameter. Square this (multiply it by itself) and then multiply by the number of stems. Then get Mr calculator to find the square root of this figure = bingo.

However, this is highly impractical and neigh on impossible on some coppice stools for example. In which case use your best judgement to guess the mean average stem diameter and number of stems, then proceed as above. In reality this is what I would probably do unless it was a category A tree.

Clear as mud?

Thanks for your time trying to explain it to me sloth.

I emailed the standard to my brother who talted me through it.

what I wasn't getting was the squared, square root of and the pie and how to put it in to the calculator and get the answer out.

He told me he learnt it all at school but he was only 2 hears behind me and I learnt f all!!

Probably why he ended up as an officer in the Navy and I ended up cutting trees and security!