Stihl MS290 problems

Aledafis

Yes I took the needles out, but it could be that there's still some crud in there. I'll give it another go.

At least it's good to know that it isn't the clutch.

Thanks!

Air-line it after the cleaner, you'll also need a tachometer to check the rpm at full tilt out of the cut, it's a very fine line between just right and too lean, it would have to be set WAY to rich for it to die under cut, did you wind the screws all the way in till they stopped? The factory setting is 1 on H and 3/4 on L (or the other way round), so that's all the way in, then 1 full turn anti-clockwise

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a complete lack of power to me. I would do a compression test. I once had an 024 Stihl that could barely turn the chain round - bad compression and wear on the cylinder due to pulling crap through the air filter.

It won't be the clutch, reckon you have very low compression and the saw is just not making enough power to cut wood or the carb is just not working correctly.

A worn clutch would make the engine revs soar in the cut and the chain stop. It sounds like the saw revs are just dropping off.

A lack of power is spot on, it's crap. I'll take a compression reading tomorrow to clarify that one. It should be good though as I ended up changing both the piston and the cylinder.

I'll also strip the carb again and give it a good clean.

What cylinder and piston did you use? If it is OEM you can discount lack of compression.

On compression - if you pull the piston up to top dead centre and pull it over slowly, you should feel a good amount of sponginess on the pull start - it should be almost like pulling it over with soft rubber in the cylinder - the sort of feelinng you get when pushing on a cycle tyre pump with your thumb on the end of it.

If you don't get this then it is likely something is wrong with the fit.

Try to measure the compression with a Gunson Hi Gauge, that is what I use as some can read low if made for larger engines!

Try to measure the compression with a Gunson Hi Gauge, that is what I use as some can read low if made for larger engines!

minor hijack - the glass front on my hi gauge rattles a bit i.e is not making a decent seal - does this compromise the reading in any way? cheers

[/b]

minor hijack - the glass front on my hi gauge rattles a bit i.e is not making a decent seal - does this compromise the reading in any way? cheers

mine has been like this since i used it on a saw and didnt have my foot on the saw properly, the saw jumped and the guage smacked down.

hasnt effected it at all.

Hi, I'm back! A compression test proved my worst fears, 120PSI, so no bloody good! GRRRRR!!!

As you can probably imagine I'm getting to the end of my tether with this saw, and have a nice but of ash sitting on the drive that needs cutting up! I'll have another go at the saw in the near future, but really could do with shifting this ash, so it look like I'm going to be spending on another saw in the meantime, I don't use it that often, but when I need a saw, it needs to work!

So any recommendations for a saw that will cut up to say 18"-20"dia butts and then slice them (with the grain) to produce bowl blanks for the lathe?

Hi, I'm back! A compression test proved my worst fears, 120PSI, so no bloody good! GRRRRR!!!

As you can probably imagine I'm getting to the end of my tether with this saw, and have a nice but of ash sitting on the drive that needs cutting up! I'll have another go at the saw in the near future, but really could do with shifting this ash, so it look like I'm going to be spending on another saw in the meantime, I don't use it that often, but when I need a saw, it needs to work!

So any recommendations for a saw that will cut up to say 18"-20"dia butts and then slice them (with the grain) to produce bowl blanks for the lathe?

120psi - thats poop:thumbdown: I did warn you those aftermarket cylinders are iffy:thumbdown: If you have the original cylinder, clean it and fit a Meteor piston - it will make 150psi+ if done well, think I sald this earlier:001_rolleyes::lol:

A saw recomendation - a 372XP is a good weapon or perhaps a Stihl MS460 if you are looking secondhand! 365 if your budget is limited.